Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: VirtualBox USB grey

Default Re: VirtualBox USB grey

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Russ,
    Don't forget the ultimate Solution #6: Useful for anyone requiring a range of disparate devices available to M$ XP = Dual-boot.

Then openSUSE can get on with its real job of being an operating system; not just a security blanket for XP.
    I agree with you on solution #6. I only use XP for two things:
    1. When my wife has a problem on her system, to troubleshoot it. Cannot get her to convert yet.
    2. To do my income tax with turbotax. It will not run with wine. Its only used for a few weeks once a year. If someone could write a linux based version, I could throw MS away. So far Intuit refuses to even consider it, even though they have a Apple version I think. I think is more the greed aspect.

have a good day.

I may try Sabayon which is a branch of kubuntu. I had it installed once. did not try iscan or virtualbox at that time. Also could try kubuntu. Do you know if virtualbox would work off an external usb drive. Presently I do not have room for another virtual drive in my home directory where XP is?

Thats got to run to eye doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by upscope View Post
    I may try Sabayon which is a branch of kubuntu. I had it installed once. did not try iscan or virtualbox at that time. Also could try kubuntu. Do you know if virtualbox would work off an external usb drive. Presently I do not have room for another virtual drive in my home directory where XP is?

Thats got to run to eye doctor.
    Sabayon is based on Gentoo as far as I know. I have never used it. Kubuntu would be better, but for testing it must host VirtualBox instead of openSUSE with XP as a guest. So where were you thinking of installing Kubuntu??

I multiboot with other distros, including Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE 4.2.2) that is installed now for testing. They live in separate partitions. I keep my .vdi files (i.e. guest OS) in a separate data partition that is mounted to any installed distro via its fstab.

I have a 1TB disc (my Book) with nothing really on it. Presently my production (11.1) is on 1 320GB disk, 11.2 is on separate 320GB disk. Only thing common is SWAP which is on the same drive as 11.2. XP_VM lives in the home directory of my 11.1 system.

I will investigate installing either Sabayon on usb drive and then virtualbox over there if its supported.

Only reason I have the 1TB drive is I won it in a drawing on Novell's web site. I did not know I even entered.

Quote Originally Posted by upscope View Post
    I will investigate installing either Sabayon on usb drive and then virtualbox over there if its supported.
    Russ,
    Lucky you . Did you mean to say: "or Kubuntu" in the above??

The reason for preferring kubuntu is that it doesn't use usbfs in fstab. However, I have noticed a difference since I recently updated 8.04 Hardy (LTS version) to 9.04 Jaunty. The default 50- rules have been retreated to /lib/udev/rules.d along with its many other rule files. VirtualBox still operates 10- in /etc/udev/rules.d as do a small number of others, and of course that is the directory in which to override the system defaults if required.

If it works/fails for your all-in-one device, we then know if it's an openSUSE problem or a more generic one. Not to mention that more people viewing here will be familiar with (k)ubuntu, and it's a pretty quick install.

I don't know yet if kubuntu will run from a usb disk. I have seen problems for that in forums, but don't remember the distro(s) involved.

Russ,

I came acroos a couple of relevant threads from Kubuntu forum re installing to a usb drive. The first link points you to the first reply in the second link, but check it all anyway.

First link here references second link here.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213