Thread: openSUSE to the rescue!

Talking openSUSE to the rescue!

So, I've been having quite a day today.

I had recently wiped my openSUSE installation and reinstalled fresh. I'm now running openSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.3 "KDE 4.2.69 (KDE 4.3 >= 20090406)) "release 1.3").

Before wiping my drive I had tried to move my virtual disk image to my fat32 formated 500GB usb hard drive. Unfortunately it was a no go. So I reformatted the drive half for ext3 and half for fat32. SUCCESS! (I wasn't even thinking about ntfs which, in retrospect probably would have been better so then I could use it with both windows and linux)

Anyways, this morning I had tried to reinstate my virtual disk image. It was easy as opening two folders as root and moving the 25GB image into my home directory. Once there, I just had to set the permissions for me to use as a regular user and I was up and running!

Now, the virtual disk HAD a working windows xp home edition on it. But upon booting it up I got the Blue Screen Of Death stating something like unmountable_boot_volume. I kind of needed to boot into windows on this because it had some important files on it. I popped in a windows installation disc. My DVD wouldn't get past the loading windows screen. It stuck to a black screen. "No problem" I thought, I had an extra xp CD. I got that booted up and tried to chkdsk /p /r it. Unfortunately it reported that there were unrepairable problems at 40%. "So what do I do now?" I thought. Oh right, I can recover files using linux!

So, I mounted an openSUSE-based KDE 4.2 iso and was able to boot that up and mount the windows partition of the virtual disk. I was then able to see my files! So then I realized that I can't use my usb port because my Virtual Box has those options grayed out (I'll have to enable usb later). So I thought I'd burn to a cd...unfortunately I was unable to use my CD drive as it was not detected in the virtual machine.

So as a last resort I thought I'd upload the files to my fileden account! I had a little over 100MB of data to upload but still with my low upload speed it would take a while. I then realized that when I right clicked my folder I could compress it! Talk about handy! I compressed it to a .zip archive and the file was compressed to 32MB. Much more easy to upload!

I then was able to reinstall windows xp on my virtual disk and reinstall my Didger program I was working with and use the files I had zipped!

Really, I just want to say that I love how every time I had a challenge openSUSE had a solution. I couldn't boot into windows xp, so without even needing to install it, I could use an openSUSE livecd to recover my files! I would have faced a long period of time to upload my files, openSUSE can compress them and upload them for me! I just want to say a very heartfelt THANK YOU to the developers of openSUSE on making such an awesome operating system! And also to the KDE developers for making it so easy to do things in the K Desktop Environment!

Anyone else have a situation where openSUSE saved them and then you fully realized just how awesome this operating system is? Share your story!

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Default Re: openSUSE to the rescue!

I run a small computer repair company and I carry a Live Suse cd allways, I have used it many times to pull files off of a borked windows machine.

Default Re: openSUSE to the rescue!

Quote Originally Posted by BoloMarkIII View Post
    I run a small computer repair company and I carry a Live Suse cd allways, I have used it many times to pull files off of a borked windows machine.
    same here. live cd's have helped me more than a few times.