Thread: Blackscreen after installed nvidia drivers.

Default Blackscreen after installed nvidia drivers.

I got openSUSE 11.1 with KDE. I have installed nvidia drivers by using comand init 3, than sh /driver/directory. It said that driver was installed corectly. When I used comand init 5 the black screen appear and I could not do enything. When I was trying to restart system both in normal and in failsave mode the only thing that appear is a blackscreen. Can anyone tell me step by step how to manage this problem (uninstal nvidia driver?). While installing driver it said that x server configuration was backup. Maby openSUSE install DVD could help?
    Please help me, but remember that I am beginer and I could not get even to terminal because of blackscreen.

Default Re: Blackscreen after installed nvidia drivers.

By presing ctrl+Alt+F2 I can get to a consol. What commands should I use to uninstall this driver?

I used command sudo sh /NVidia/directory --uninstall and it worked.
    Now when I am starting system termial appear but still now graphic mode. I think that I must install open drivers now. What command should I use to do so? Can I use for it liveDVD with openSUSE?

Your nvidia driver was probably installed correctly but you need to run sax2 to complete the configuration.
    It would have said that at the end of the instal instructions.
    When you get to the console (as root) type "sax2", "exit" (root) and "startx".
    Then run through the nvidia instal again and complete it by typing "sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia".

Well it looks that I manage this problem myself. I used comand sudo mcedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed "nvidia" to "nv". Now everything seems to work correctly.
    Sory for making this topic. It may be now delete.

Graham P Davis NNTP User

peteh100 wrote:

>
    > Your nvidia driver was probably installed correctly but you need to run
    > sax2 to complete the configuration.
    > It would have said that at the end of the instal instructions.
    > When you get to the console (as root) type "sax2", "exit" (root) and
    > "startx".
    > Then run through the nvidia instal again and complete it by typing
    > "sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia".
    >
    >

I wouldn't advise using the Nvidia driver. I tried it last week and found
    after installation that it was only a Beta version and wouldn't work with my
    card, a Galaxy Zeus 5200, which is hardly cutting-edge technology.

--
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy

two point:

1. The previous post did not specify the version of driver that he used, so I can't recommend following his advice. I always make sure to use drivers that are a "stable version" and have had excellent results using versions up to and including 180.29 (in my case 64 bit version)

2. I keep a notebook by the PC, and as I'm learning Linux (a year now) I record every procedure that works, so I can recreate my results without having to search these forums every time. Here's what my notes say about my most recent nvidia driver installation:

su
    cd home/(username)/downloads (or to the location where the downloaded nvidia file is on your PC)
    sh NIVDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.29-pkg2.run (use your nvidia file name if different)
    sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia

configure your display to your preferences

then restart

All done!

remember to repeat the procedure each time you update the kernel

Quote Originally Posted by caprus View Post

su
    cd home/(username)/downloads (or to the location where the downloaded nvidia file is on your PC)
    sh NIVDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.29-pkg2.run (use your nvidia file name if different)
    sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia

configure your display to your preferences

then restart
    Note that this is best done from a virtual terminal/console (Ctrl-Alt-F1_through_F6), as X-server should not be active when Sax2 is configured.
    Using this method, you will need to recompile the driver after every kernel update. See here: NVIDIA - openSUSE

Better method (for beginners) would be the 1-click install from: NVIDIA - openSUSE (depends on your Graphics Card model). With this, there is no need to recompile the driver after a kernel update.

The nVidia page for openSUSE is worth a read: NVIDIA - openSUSE

PS
    Though the link name is the same, the 3 links above point to different topics.
    Linux User 483705 @ http://counter.li.org/

Graham P Davis NNTP User

caprus wrote:

> 1. The previous post did not specify the version of driver that he
    > used, so I can't recommend following his advice. I always make sure to
    > use drivers that are a "stable version" and have had excellent results
    > using versions up to and including 180.29 (in my case 64 bit version)

I would expect the driver on the official Nvidia repository,
    http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1/, not to be a beta version. I see
    the site is down at the moment. Not sure whether or not that's a bad thing.

--
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy

Quote Originally Posted by zmdmw52 View Post
    Better method (for beginners) would be the 1-click install from: NVIDIA - openSUSE (depends on your Graphics Card model). With this, there is no need to recompile the driver after a kernel update
    I know that many have said and continue to say this. I guess it works for them, however the "One Click Method" has never worked for me. I've tried it many times on different PCs over the course of the past year. That's why I favor the "hard way" I outlined. I find it to be both the only way that works reliably for me and easier in the long run.

Thanks for the reminder on using "a virtual terminal/console (Ctrl-Alt-F1_through_F6)". I was careless not to have mentioned that.