Problem with ATI driver and Suse 11.1

i am having a major headache with the ati driver being installed on my Suse 11.1. The problem is that the driver installed successfully (at least that’s what it said) and after i had restarted back into Suse the monitor displays just a black screen and nothing else. So i go into failsafe (of which i can’t use the graphics for some reason so i use the kernel) and try using the aticonfig command but i am sort of a noob at this so i don’t really know how to fix this problem. Can anybody please help me.:frowning:

Try backing up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to something like /etc/X11/xorg.conf_orig or so (cp, not mv). Then try a “aticonfig --initial” and start X and see if it works out.

Did you install from the repo or by using the ati binary install?
THe repo install should work fine. If installing from the ati binary, do the install in runlevel 3 (no gui).
For both installs, reboot to single user mode, login as root and run sax2 to configure the xserver.
There is a more detailed sticky/how to help section (scroll down the main page).
http://forums.opensuse.org/how-faq-read-only/393929-hardware-installing-ati-drivers.html

yeah, so how exactly do i go about installing the ati repository. I have it downloaded but i don’t know how to install it.

See this page for full ATI-OpenSUSE instructions.

If you do the one-click install, you’ll have an option to add the ATI repository permenantly.