Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to free diskspace?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Narvik, Norway
    Posts
    392

    Question How to free diskspace?

    Hi!
    My root-partition(/) is almost full, but i cant find out what to delete. Is there a way to find out what to delete?
    I miss something like CCleaner for Windows ;-)

    But an alternativ is to resize partition since i have good free space on /home, but i can't resize without unmounting partition and i don't dare to experiment.

    I need advice!

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to free diskspace?

    ronnys wrote:
    > My root-partition(/) is almost full, but i cant find out what to
    > delete. Is there a way to find out what to delete?


    kdirstat can display large files and directories as rectangles of
    corresponding sizes. You will find temporary files in /tmp and /var/tmp.
    You can also remove unused programs. You can display a list of packages
    sorted by installed size in YaST / Software / Software management,
    installation summary view, [x] installed packages checked. Click "size"
    column to sort. To do this in shell, run this command:
    rpm -qa --qf="%{SIZE}\t%{NAME}\n" | sort -g

    > But an alternativ is to resize partition since i have good free space
    > on /home, but i can't resize without unmounting partition and i don't
    > dare to experiment.


    You can resize partitions from an openSUSE Live CD, an openSUSE rescue
    system (DVD, mini netinstall ISO, grub boot to install system, floppies)
    Ext3 file systems can be enlarged while mounted.

    Kind regards,
    Andreas Stieger

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norwich, UK
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: How to free diskspace?

    ronnys wrote:

    > ;-)


    If you have an unused partition, you could format it and move /opt (or /usr
    or /tmp or /var) onto it ...

    Alan


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Narvik, Norway
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: How to free diskspace?

    No i cannot!
    I've of course used all diskspace and partition like this:
    - / total:20GB used:18.1GB free:1,9GB (ext3)
    - /swap 2GB
    - /home "The rest" with allot free space (ext3)

    Now i have uninstalled apps that did take space and i dindt use. I have deletet files in /tmp and manage to get 1GB extra free.

    I would like to decrease size og /home and increase /
    But i cant decrease /home because it says its in use and i cant umount it eighter. I guess i have to boot up in init 3 and then use som cli-command to resize /home.
    What command?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasStieger View Post
    You can resize partitions from an openSUSE Live CD, an openSUSE rescue
    system (DVD, mini netinstall ISO, grub boot to install system, floppies)
    Ext3 file systems can be enlarged while mounted.

    Kind regards,
    Andreas Stieger

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to free diskspace?

    Your best friend to find out the size of various folders on your hard disk is "du", see "man du" for more information.

    18GB for an openSUSE installation with its own /home is _not_ normal, there is something "fat" hidden somewhere, use du to find out what's wrong here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: How to free diskspace?

    Hi Alan,
    Quote Originally Posted by fudokai View Post
    If you have an unused partition, you could format it and move /opt (or /usr or /tmp or /var) onto it ...
    I had the same problem. I was able to successfully move some mount points (swap, /tmp, and /home) onto a second physical disk. But I ran into problems trying to resize /. It seems partions *can* be easily resized if the unallocated space is after the partition of interest.

    If the unallocated space is before the desired partition, the problem is tougher. See Extend / into Unpartioned Space - openSUSE Forums. My ultimate solution was to reinstall with a bigger drive (the installation was rather fresh).

    Jeff

  7. #7
    Andy Sipowicz NNTP User

    Default Re: How to free diskspace?

    > - / total:20GB used:18.1GB free:1,9GB (ext3)

    i agree with the other posters that this is an unusual situation that
    you need to solve (why is it so large...i guess you have HUGE logs)


    > I would like to decrease size og /home and increase /
    > But i cant decrease /home because it says its in use and i cant umount
    > it eighter. I guess i have to boot up in init 3 and then use som
    > cli-command to resize /home.


    no, you can do all in a GUI *if* you boot from a Live CD as "Andreas
    Stieger" suggested..

    [hint when booting from a Live CD the hard drive's partitions are not
    mounted, BUT the partitioner accessible from YaST will run in memory
    and do all you need----BUT, making a larger / just addresses the
    symptom, not the cause..]

    --
    Andy Sipowicz

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Narvik, Norway
    Posts
    392

    Default SOLVED! (Re: How to free diskspace?)

    Hi!
    Thanks for helping! Since you tell me that this was not normal, then i start to look more in detail. It was the trashcan for root-user that hold an old virtual disk from Virtualbox that was 10GB.
    Now im down to 8GB usage of 20GB.

    Tanx!


    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Sipowicz View Post
    > - / total:20GB used:18.1GB free:1,9GB (ext3)

    i agree with the other posters that this is an unusual situation that
    you need to solve (why is it so large...i guess you have HUGE logs)


    > I would like to decrease size og /home and increase /
    > But i cant decrease /home because it says its in use and i cant umount
    > it eighter. I guess i have to boot up in init 3 and then use som
    > cli-command to resize /home.


    no, you can do all in a GUI *if* you boot from a Live CD as "Andreas
    Stieger" suggested..

    [hint when booting from a Live CD the hard drive's partitions are not
    mounted, BUT the partitioner accessible from YaST will run in memory
    and do all you need----BUT, making a larger / just addresses the
    symptom, not the cause..]

    --
    Andy Sipowicz

  9. #9
    Andy Sipowicz NNTP User

    Default Re: How to free diskspace?

    > Tanx!

    you are welcome, but there should NEVER be anything in root's trashcan..

    there is absolutely NO reason for root to ever have a trash can..

    because no one should EVER log into KDE/GNOME/Xfce/etc/etc as
    root...NEVER EVER..

    to perform administrator duties as root, NEVER log into KDE/etc as
    root, instead always log in as a normal user and then become root in
    the ways noted in: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Login_as_root

    --
    Andy Sipowicz

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to free diskspace?

    If you wanted to see what large files are on your system you could use this.

    become root
    find / -size +1000000 -print

    Or change the size to whatever you want to look for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •