Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Source software to archive 60 yrs of data

Blog Entries

Default Open Source software to archive 60 yrs of data

Hi

Can you recommend some Open Source software to archive 60 yrs of data. The data are surgical patients' files, maybe 2-3 pages per patient. The brief is to turn them into paperless records and destroy the original paper.

In my simplistic way I was thinking of scanning each set of 2-3 pages into openoffice writer and exporting that document to a pdf file. That would be the record. Then I would make an openoffice database with
    • Name
    • Date of Birth
    • 2-3 other details that doctors need
    • filename of the pdf file

That should do it.

Is there an existing paperless-office / archiving-software in the Open Source world. I see no reason to invent something if a better one already exists.

Thanks
    Swerdna
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Default Re: Open Source software to archive 60 yrs of data

Have a read at this article:

50 Successful Open Source Projects That Are Changing Medicine

You might find a project/software for what you need (I haven't been through each of the websites there in detail).
    Linux User 483705 @ http://counter.li.org/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zmdmw52 View Post
    Have a read at this article:

50 Successful Open Source Projects That Are Changing Medicine

You might find a project/software for what you need (I haven't been through each of the websites there in detail).
    Thanks zmdmw52.

GNUmed looks pretty good since it has a patient details database and an included document manager. So it likely can be used as an archive, which is what I want.

Blog Entries

What I am doing has nothing to do with record keeping, but something I found useful.

At work I discovered a copier with "scan and mail PDF to me" feature. I have been using it to scan old documents I have collected over the years. It's great, getting rid of all that clutter.

Here's what I would suggest: Get a desktop scanner supported by Linux. Write a little GUI or web app to interface to CLI scanning and conversion to PDF programs. Or somehow script GIMP to do this. I imagine you would have sane feeding into something to PDF converter. The GUI would also prompt for that info you talked about. You could write it to a MySQL DB or just to plain text files as key-value pairs. You might also want to embed some or all of that info in the PDF document dictionary so that it also stays with the document.

Then let the staff loose on this setup. Don't underestimate the amount of time required to do the manual page turning and positioning on the flatbed. One nice thing about the copier is that for long documents I can use the feeder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    What I am doing has nothing to do with record keeping, but something I found useful.

At work I discovered a copier with "scan and mail PDF to me" feature. I have been using it to scan old documents I have collected over the years. It's great, getting rid of all that clutter.

Here's what I would suggest: Get a desktop scanner supported by Linux. Write a little GUI or web app to interface to CLI scanning and conversion to PDF programs. Or somehow script GIMP to do this. I imagine you would have sane feeding into something to PDF converter. The GUI would also prompt for that info you talked about. You could write it to a MySQL DB or just to plain text files as key-value pairs. You might also want to embed some or all of that info in the PDF document dictionary so that it also stays with the document.

Then let the staff loose on this setup. Don't underestimate the amount of time required to do the manual page turning and positioning on the flatbed. One nice thing about the copier is that for long documents I can use the feeder.
    Estimating the time is crucial; just for example: Suppose 20000 records @ two pages to scan per record @ 5 seconds head-travel per scan -- that's 200000 seconds with a fast scanner -- hmmm 60 hours without allowing for drawing a breath, just for scan head movement time. I think a fast scanner with sheet feeder is essential.

And thanks for the ideas -- I'm thinking on them.

Blog Entries

You might also want to take into account the state of the paper. If some of them are 60 years old, they might not take kindly to being handled by the feeder and cause misfeeds or jams, etc. slowing down scanning. A couple of my documents wouldn't totally feed and I had to scan a couple of pages by on the flatbed and join up the PDFs. So a quality feeder may make good sense. Experiments are needed.

Opps I``m wrong

Cheers

Mike

I have used HP Director for Windows which allows you to save multiple page documents to PDF directly. I haven't found a direct Linux alternative but I haven't looked recently. However, HP Director was distributed with a lot of HP printer/scanners and should run under WINE.
    Last edited by john_hudson; 11-Apr-2009 at 03:49. Reason: Clarification

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1michael1 View Post
    60 years of data from today till 59 years ..........should have ext.hardrive to back up all files into ext. HD
    It's actually ppl born after 1920 who exist on paper. Databases were used for the last 10 yrs and a mixture before that, so it's perhaps better expressed as 60-80 years of historical data.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    I have used HP Director for Windows which allows you to save multiple page documents to PDF directly. I haven't found a direct Linux alternative but I haven't looked recently. However, HP Director was distributed with a lot of HP printer/scanners and should run under WINE.
    It's a good idea: looking at the windows software that comes with the scanner to see if it has the HP director style of software. Nearly all of them do now days have the ability to scan direct to pdf -- in windows. Thanks for the thought. I'll check it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast