Thread: Can't log into Gnome

Default Can't log into Gnome

I have XFCE and Gnome with OpenSUSE 11.1 and I can't log into Gnome anymore. When I select Gnome from the login manager, it starts, but then the screen flashes and I'm sent back to the login window where I have to select xfce.

I enabled desktop effects last time I was in Gnome and maybe something went wrong with compiz?

Any help?

Smile Re: Can't log into Gnome

Disable desktop effects from xfce.. reset sax to initial settings. Should work.
    | OpenSuSE 11.4 Gnome Shell 64-bit | 4.2 i7-930 | ATI Raden 5750

Default Re: Can't log into Gnome

Still can't get into Gnome...

I tried disabling effects in xfce, resetting Sax, if by that you mean running "sax2 -r" as root and that didn't help.

Well, all I could suggest then is, just get in the software management and reinstall gnome desktop environment. Will loose all the themes you've installed. That's pretty much it.

Good luck, If I come up with something else, I'll post back asap.
    | OpenSuSE 11.4 Gnome Shell 64-bit | 4.2 i7-930 | ATI Raden 5750

I don't know if i would reinstall gnome but try and remove compiz in software manager, do a search for compiz and anything relating to it delete it then restart and see if that don't help

Arrow Re: Can't log into Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc65 View Post
    I don't know if i would reinstall gnome but try and remove compiz in software manager, do a search for compiz and anything relating to it delete it then restart and see if that don't help
    It doesn't have anything to do with Compiz. I have a similar problem (Compiz is disabled). Though in my case this happens when I try to Login to XFCE; after inputting the p/w second time, I can login.
    Linux User 483705 @ http://counter.li.org/