Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

  1. #1

    Default OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    Computer makers are offering netbooks with Windows XP and Ubuntu but I haven't seen SUSE in the mix-whats the deal.

    You guys know of how it runs on any of the popular (good) netbook models.
    Dell D600/ P4 1.4GHz / 2GB MB / 40GB HDD/ GNOME 2.24.1/ OpenSUSE 11.1 (For Family)
    Lenovo T60 / DC 1.66GHz / 3GB DDR2 / 60GB HDD/ GNOME 2.24.1/ OpenSUSE 11.1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    St Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    Runs perfectly out of the box on my MSI Wind U100. Audio, Fn keys, wifi, etc. Ethernet needs a kernel update that you'll get after your first system update on 11.1. Couple of tweaks for the webcam and for KDE4 effects are in the openSUSE wiki (just serch for "MSI Wind"). Suspend/Hibernate works in GNOME; not certain about KDE4. It seems to lock up at times when trying to wake up. Maybe a powerdevil issue?
    Dell Inspiron 530 - C2Q@2.4Ghz; 6GB RAM; openSUSE 11.2 x86_64; KDE 4.4.1
    Dell Inspiron 1440 - C2D@2.2Ghz; 4GB RAM; openSUSE 11.2 x86; KDE 4.4.1
    Dell Latitude D531 - AMD Turion X2 64@2.0Ghz; 2GB RAM; Linux Mint 8

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Zug ZG, Switzerland
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

    100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Zug ZG, Switzerland
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

    100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Zug ZG, Switzerland
    Posts
    46

    Talking Re: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    For me is the HP2140 the best...
    Have a look on the support...ok you have to install drivers but it is supported and read the part "3D works great..."

    I think about buying someone...i like the alu-finish and the nice keyborad!

    I hope it is helpfull for you
    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

    100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,641
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    Hi
    Have an Asus eeePC 1000HC up the ram to 2GB and replaced the 160GB with
    a 250GB I had here, works fine. 3D graphics out of the box as well as
    bluetooth, webcam, suspend, wifi (ath9k) brightness etc. The N280 cpu
    is a feisty little cpu.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
    up 2:38, 1 user, load average: 0.29, 0.13, 0.10
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,233

    Default Re: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 14:46 +0000, Caleb IX wrote:
    > For me is the HP2140 the best...
    > Have a look on the support...ok you have to install drivers but it is
    > supported and read the part "3D works great..."
    >
    > I think about buying someone...i like the alu-finish and the nice
    > keyborad!


    I'm the one that did the entry/review.

    Pros:

    * Nice keyboard
    * Nice form factor
    * Runs pretty cool
    * Fairly zippy for a low end device (like all netbooks)
    * Good multi-monitor support (tested up to 1920x1200 external)
    * Wireless works well (tested WPA TKIP)
    * Compiz 3D works well (tested KDE 3.5, Compiz Fusion)

    (on 3D, this is NOT a 3D powerhouse, but enough to run
    the desktop effects and certain lower end games)

    Cons:

    * Screen is too low res for Windows (if that's a con)
    * Battery life is SHORT. Less than 2hours if wireless is
    enabled and you're trying to watch a movie (480p).



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Zug ZG, Switzerland
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcox View Post
    On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 14:46 +0000, Caleb IX wrote:
    > For me is the HP2140 the best...
    > Have a look on the support...ok you have to install drivers but it is
    > supported and read the part "3D works great..."
    >
    > I think about buying someone...i like the alu-finish and the nice
    > keyborad!


    I'm the one that did the entry/review.

    Pros:

    * Nice keyboard
    * Nice form factor
    * Runs pretty cool
    * Fairly zippy for a low end device (like all netbooks)
    * Good multi-monitor support (tested up to 1920x1200 external)
    * Wireless works well (tested WPA TKIP)
    * Compiz 3D works well (tested KDE 3.5, Compiz Fusion)

    (on 3D, this is NOT a 3D powerhouse, but enough to run
    the desktop effects and certain lower end games)

    Cons:

    * Screen is too low res for Windows (if that's a con)
    * Battery life is SHORT. Less than 2hours if wireless is
    enabled and you're trying to watch a movie (480p).
    Thx for this post...

    I know that the 3D is not like a power n-nvidia
    in a tower-pc...

    I need it only for fo compiz/fusion and for watching videos...i think it will be ok for that...
    For the battery i have the bigone (6cel.)for the hp 2133...its the same!
    Does the 3D work out of the box?
    What wireless driver have u used?
    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

    100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,233

    Default Re: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 20:46 +0000, Caleb IX wrote:
    ...
    > I need it only for fo compiz/fusion and for watching videos...i think
    > it will be ok for that...
    > Does the 3D work out of the box?


    yes/no... like anything, you may have to play with things
    a bit. I didn't even try KDE 4.. IMHO, that's broken
    by design... but I know some do use the UI and think
    it works fine... however, they are sadly mistaken

    > What wireless driver have u used?


    You have to use the Broadcomm free (not as beer) bwl driver.
    If you use the truly free one, WPA will NOT work.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Zug ZG, Switzerland
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: OpenSUSE on the Netbook?

    I bought it...its really nice...KDE4 rocks on this small screen...i tasted first gnome but it...

    1. looks so bad
    2. has a lot of bugs because of the exotic resolution of the screen
    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

    100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •