Thread: GIMP layer window will not stay focused

elysian NNTP User

Default GIMP layer window will not stay focused

I'm having a problem with GIMP on openSUSE 11.1. Doesn't matter which version, I've had the same problem with every version of 2.6.* and I believed I tried a late 2.4 version as well with the same results. The problem is, every time I open the GIMP it only loads the Toolbox and the main GNU Image Manipulation Program. It's missing the layers, channels, paths dialog. This dialog does load on startup, but it is not initially visible and is effectively minimized. If I click the "toolbox" box in my taskbar it pops up, but only remains there until I click outside of it and it disappears again.

This is extremely frustrating when you have an image loaded and it only stays there for as long as you don't click anything outside of the box. What is odd is that this particular window ignores any Window Behavior I assign to it (ie: keep above others). I am using KDE 3.5 but had the same problem under the horrible KDE 4.

I imagine I can't be the only one with this problem. Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by elysian; 06-Apr-2009 at 23:20. Reason: .

Default Re: GIMP layer window will not stay focused

Your case seems peculiar. I haven't experience this and don't know the fix but I can suggest something that might work to make the layer, and path channels always visible. In a normal situation when you open gimp there will be 3-gui's that will pop-up, the tool, main gimp window (work area) and the channels. The last is where you are having a problem. You said you can still make it show-up clicking it.

Here is my suggestion.
    If you look at the tool box, in between the toolbox and the paintbrush below, the separation between the two (tool and paintbrush) you will see two horizontal lines. If you hover your mouse in this two horizontal lines there will be a pop-up dialog which states "you can drop dockable dialog here". Click the channel gui and drag and drop the layer, path and history channel icons inside the two horizontal lines.

As an aside, could it be your gimp channel box is in the shade mode. Try to look at it and roll it down, instead of clicking the maximize or minimize button.

Hope this helps
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

elysian NNTP User

Thanks for the reply, but that's not a solution I want to use. I like to keep separate dialogs.

I'm not sure why it's doing this. I have tried everything I can think of, including making my own dockable boxes and such, but to no avail. I had some luck with uninstalling gimp and reinstalling and removing the suse branding, but it seems to have crept back. I've been using open suse since 9.1, but this 11.1 release has been giving me nothing but trouble in just about everything. :[

thanks for the help though. I find myself on Vista and photoshop more and more these days!

elysian NNTP User

Got Gimp 2.4.7 to work correctly. That'll do!

Quote Originally Posted by elysian View Post
    Got Gimp 2.4.7 to work correctly. That'll do!
    Good that version works, how about upgrading it to 2.6.5 through yast might be able to maintain your present setup.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything