Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

  1. #1

    Exclamation after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    hello im running openSuSE 11.1 with kde 4.2 installed from the "http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1/" repo

    ok so now the issue last time i updated the packages in this repo kdm stopped working and i am not able to get kde running.

    i keep getting this error when kdm trys to start up "kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails"

    so im hoping that an other package update with yast will help but im not sure how to get the cli version of yast to update all packages with newer versions available like the gui one does.

    So a lead into how to fix this and still keep my kde 4.2 intact would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    zoso77 NNTP User

    Default Re: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    Try renaming the .kde4 directory in the user directory which corresponds with your login to something like .kde4_ or .kde4_old to see if that fixes the problem.

    You could also try to rename kstartupconfig4 in the same way, it might just be that config file which has a problem in it.

  3. #3

    Default Re: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    k i will trying renameing kstartupconfig4 when i find it but there is no point in renameing my .kde4 folder cause im not even getting that far since kdm dosent even start

  4. #4

    Default Re: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    alright i tried renameing my /.kde4 folder and it did nothing i still get the excat same error any other ideas

  5. #5

    Default Re: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    Same error reported in the spanish forum: error al actualizar con factory (nuevo kde y QT) - FOROSuSE

    So I suppose it's the same problem... with the same fix: if you aren't, use the official Qt packages.

  6. #6

    Default Re: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    well im currently useing this repo for my qt
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.1

  7. #7

    Default Re: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    Quote Originally Posted by eagles500 View Post
    well im currently useing this repo for my qt
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.1
    Right now that's incorrect. Quoting the interesting part of the "osc meta prj KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop" output from the spanish forum:
    Code:
      <repository name="openSUSE_11.1">
        <path project="devel:tools:building" repository="openSUSE_11.1"/>
        <path project="openSUSE:11.1:Update" repository="standard"/>
        <arch>i586</arch>
        <arch>x86_64</arch>
      </repository>
    ...there is no KDE:Qt.

  8. #8

    Default Re: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    still nothing im thinking i will just wipe out my kde and install it again including my /.kde4 configs

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,287

    Default Re: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    Quote Originally Posted by eagles500 View Post
    hello im running openSuSE 11.1 with kde 4.2 installed from the "http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1/" repo

    ok so now the issue last time i updated the packages in this repo kdm stopped working and i am not able to get kde running.

    i keep getting this error when kdm trys to start up "kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails"

    so im hoping that an other package update with yast will help but im not sure how to get the cli version of yast to update all packages with newer versions available like the gui one does.

    So a lead into how to fix this and still keep my kde 4.2 intact would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi,
    You can do this quite easily with the cli version of yast. Once you get into the cli version go to Software Management.

    You can do all files by just hitting enter in the search bar and waiting for all the files to show up. Then hit tab twice and you'll see that Actions is highlighted. Hit the down arrow key and then select All Listed Packages... Then choose Update if Newer Version Available.

    If you want to do just KDE4 packages then...

    Upon entering software management hit Shift+tab to highlight the filter bar. Hit the down arrow key then highlight the Patterns option.

    Hit tab to get down to the patterns list. Hit the down arrow key until you're at KDE4 Desktop Environment. Hit tab twice and you'll see that Actions is highlighted. Hit the down arrow key and then select All Listed Packages... Then choose Update if Newer Version Available.

    Hit Shift+tab twice then highlight KDE4 Base System. Hit tab twice and you'll see that Actions is highlighted. Hit the down arrow key and then select All Listed Packages... Then choose Update if Newer Version Available.

    Hit tab 5 times and you'll see that Accept is highlighted. Hit enter and it will update all your KDE4 packages that need updated.

    Hope this helps,

    Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

  10. #10

    Default Re: after package update issues with kdm and kde 4.2

    Quote Originally Posted by eagles500 View Post
    still nothing im thinking i will just wipe out my kde and install it again including my /.kde4 configs
    Obviously there isn't enough with removing the repo. What you have to do is substitute the packages that were installed from that repo.
    And obviously ZYpp will not offer you to *upgrade* to the *older* Qt version, that's something you have to do (or use the special "zypper dup", but that probably will also want to change other things).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •