Thread: A yast error

Question A yast error

Hello,

I have a yast error and so i don't know how to update my system. I'm on opensuse 11.0.

The error occured when i used command "zypper up -t package" is
    zypper: error while loading shared libraries: libzypp.so.424: cannot open shared object file: Input/output error

The error occured when i used command " /sbin/yast2 --install"

"libzypp.so.424 => not found
    warning: the gtk frontend is installed but does not work
    Qt GUI wanted but not found, falling back to ncurses.
    Error while creating client module sw_single"

I'm newbie : i don't know what's the problem and how to solve it.

Thanks for advance.

Remi.

PS : sorry for my english, i'm french.

Default Re: A yast error

It says it cannot read neccecary files from disk due to IO error. Looks like a problem with your hard disk. Just for now you can download libzypp and zypper RPMs from online repository and reinstall them (rpm -Uvh --force libzypp*.rpm zypper*.rpm) and maybe it will work for a while.
    Last edited by ars3niy; 05-Apr-2009 at 06:00. Reason: missing word

Are you running from a command line/terminal login or are you using a desktop?
    In a non gui environment, login as root and type yast.
    If you are in a gui environment, open a terminal and run yast (not yast2) as su.
    (Looks like you are using gnome and something went wrong, so maybe update gnome and the qt libraries).

Don't forget, if the updater applet is running (normally found in the system tray) this can happen as well

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Are you running from a command line/terminal login or are you using a desktop?
    I use an xterm in a IceWM environment because i try another environment in the case of the error maybe due to gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    In a non gui environment, login as root and type yast.If you are in a gui environment, open a terminal and run yast (not yast2) as su.
    (Looks like you are using gnome and something went wrong, so maybe update gnome and the qt libraries).
    I try and
    "Error while creating client module online_update
    Error while creating client module sw_single
    Error while creating client module sw_single"
    when i select some choice.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaflyer44 View Post
    Don't forget, if the updater applet is running (normally found in the system tray) this can happen as well

Andy
    I check, it's not the case. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ars3niy View Post
    It says it cannot read neccecary files from disk due to IO error. Looks like a problem with your hard disk. Just for now you can download libzypp and zypper RPMs from online repository and reinstall them (rpm -Uvh --force libzypp*.rpm zypper*.rpm) and maybe it will work for a while.
    I began to download in order to try your solution.

I got this error :
    " > rpm -Uvh --force libzypp*.rpm zypper*.rpm

attention: libzypp-5.11.0-3.3.i586.rpm: Entête V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 7fb7f464
    erreur: Dépendances requises:
    satsolver-tools = 0.10.13 est nécessaire pour libzypp-5.11.0-3.3.i586
    rpm-devel est nécessaire pour libzypp-devel-5.11.0-3.3.i586
    libcurl-devel est nécessaire pour libzypp-devel-5.11.0-3.3.i586
    boost-devel est nécessaire pour libzypp-devel-5.11.0-3.3.i586
    cmake est nécessaire pour libzypp-devel-5.11.0-3.3.i586
    libsatsolver-devel est nécessaire pour libzypp-devel-5.11.0-3.3.i586
    ruby-zypp est nécessaire pour libzypp-testsuite-tools-4.2.6-4.12.i586
    ruby-zypptools est nécessaire pour libzypp-testsuite-tools-4.2.6-4.12.i586
    libqdialogsolver1 est nécessaire pour libzypp-testsuite-tools-4.2.6-4.12.i586
    libqdialogsolver.so.1 est nécessaire pour libzypp-testsuite-tools-4.2.6-4.12.i586
    libzypp.so.424 est nécessaire pour (déjà installé) yast2-pkg-bindings-2.16.42-0.2.i586
    libzypp.so.424 est nécessaire pour (déjà installé) yast2-ncurses-pkg-2.16.14-0.4.i586
    libzypp.so.424 est nécessaire pour (déjà installé) yast2-gtk-2.16.15-0.1.i586
    libzypp.so.424 est nécessaire pour (déjà installé) PackageKit-0.2.1-15.10.i586 "

So it's in french. there somes dependences to be resolved. It's not a real problem i suppose but another thing is :
    "libzypp.so.424 est nécessaire pour (déjà installé)" that means libzypp.so.424 is already installed and this is strange no ?? Maybe i misunderstood ? maybe my traduction is wrong , no ?

You should not have downloadod libzypp-devel and libzypp-testsuite-tools RPMs, erase them.

Also it looks like packages you've downloaded have different version from ones that are installed in the system. You can type rpm -q libzypp zypper to get exact versions of installed packages and try to find packages with same versions but maybe different release (e.g. libzypp-5.11.0-3.3 means version 5.11.0, release 3.3).

If you don't find appropriate packages, add --nodeps option to the rpm -Uvh ... command (packages should get reinstalled then) and then remove PackageKit and yast (with zypper, not with yast), then install them back.

Third, you can try copying /usr/lib/libzypp.so.424.X.Y to different location. It should fail due to the same input/output error, but there's a chance that it'll succeed after several attempts. If it happens to succeed, just overwrite existing file with the copy.

Anyway, it's a temporary workaround. It looks like your hard disk is failing, and maybe you'll have to move installed system to another HDD. By the way, reinstallation is a last resort that is guaranteed to work, there's nothing really wrong with reinstalling Linux due to HDD problem.
    Last edited by ars3niy; 05-Apr-2009 at 07:11. Reason: typoe

Forgot to say: if you choose to reinstall packages with --nodeps, also download and reinstall satsolver-tools.