Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching KDE versions.

Default Switching KDE versions.

Following advice from these pages I downloaded KDE 4.2 using Yast.
    I had assumed that it would be installed and it would be used from then on.

Wrong. Clearly I have missed something somewhere. I find that some software (KDE bugzilla wizard) reports that it I am using KDE 3.5.10 rel. 21.11,

System Information reports I am using 4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) "release 4.9"

Nowhere can I find 4.2 being used.

So how do I start using 4.2 and how do I flush out the superseded versions please.

Still very much a beginner trying to keep up!
    Budgie2

Default Re: Switching KDE versions.

Hi,

Can you please open up a terminal and post the output of

Code:
    zypper lr
    Thanks,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

On the login screen select Sessions and you should see KDE4 listed; select it and login.

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Hi,

Code:
    zypper lr
    Thanks,

Ian
    Hi Ian. After posting I remembered I used one click install from KDE website. I shall send you the zypper lr output as soon as I am back on that machine. On laptop at the moment.
    Many thanks.
    Budgie2

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    On the login screen select Sessions and you should see KDE4 listed; select it and login.
    No login screen as I opted for single user when installing. Read a thread on how to fix this here so will try and sort this out first.
    Many thanks,
    Budgie2

Hi,

You can just do the whole login thing by clicking the application launcher then going to leave then clicking logout. It will bring you to the login screen. There you can choose KDE4.

I would like to see the output of zypper lr because if you have kde 4.1.3 repositories, there's a good chance that you might have some mixed packages which would account for your system telling you you have kde 4.1.3 installed.

Good Luck,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Hi,

[CODE]zypper lr[/CODE

Thanks,

Ian
    Hi Ian,
    Here it is:-
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh
    ---+--------------------------+--------------------------+---------+--------
    1 | KDE:KDE4:Factoryesktop | KDE:KDE4:Factoryesktop | Yes | Yes
    2 | cdparanoia | cdparanoia | Yes | Yes
    3 | devel:tools:building | devel:tools:building | Yes | Yes
    4 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | Yes | Yes
    5 | repo | VideoLan Repository | No | Yes
    6 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.1-Debug | No | Yes
    7 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes
    8 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.1-Source | No | Yes
    9 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes
    10 | repo_1 | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes

When I installed the KDE 4.2 I used the one click method from the KDE site. Hope you can give me some guidance please.
    Regards,
    Budgie2

Hmm... Well you have the correct repositories installed and no trace of any previous KDE repositories, although you can still get the KDE 4.1.3 packages from the the OSS repository.

Try this,

Open Yast Software Management then for the filter choose patterns.

Right click on KDE4 Desktop Environment and choose All In This List>Update Unconditionally. Do the same for KDE4 Base System.

Good Luck,

Ian

Hmm... Well you have the correct repositories installed and no trace of any previous KDE repositories, although you can still get the KDE 4.1.3 packages from the the OSS repository.

Try this,

Open Yast Software Management then for the filter choose patterns.

Right click on KDE4 Desktop Environment and choose All In This List>Update Unconditionally. Do the same for KDE4 Base System.

Good Luck,

Ian
    Hi Ian,
    Strange behaviour when I tried to log out so perhaps I had crossed packages. Anyhow I had to reboot and was then able to select KDE 4.2. I then did an update as many previous component updates had failed yesterday. Now system info says 4.2.2 so I guess all is OK. Many thanks for your help.

Now back to trying to get Kaudiocreator to work!

Regards,
    Budgie2

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi Ian,
    Strange behaviour when I tried to log out so perhaps I had crossed packages. Anyhow I had to reboot and was then able to select KDE 4.2. I then did an update as many previous component updates had failed yesterday. Now system info says 4.2.2 so I guess all is OK. Many thanks for your help.

Now back to trying to get Kaudiocreator to work!

Regards,
    Budgie2
    It still doesn't.

The upgrading of KDe was rather neat. Is there any way I can upgrade from OpenSuse 11.0 to 11.1 in a similar way?

Budgie2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast