Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Switching KDE versions.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,287

    Default Re: Switching KDE versions.

    Yes, but you'll lose all your programs you have installed. You'll still have their configuration files so when you install them back onto your computer you'll have all your settings and stuff saved.

    You can do this if you chose the default options when you installed openSUSE which opted for a separate home partition. In which case you'll just reinstall the / (root) partition. If you're using the livecd method again, I would recommend doing it from a kde4.2 live cd rather than the opensuse 11.1 kde live cd.

    You can find the .iso here "KDE Four Live" CD

    This ensures that you'll start off with KDE4 instead of having to upgrade to it. Since your current configuration is set for kde4 you won't have to delete you .kde and .kde4 folders upon reinstall either.

    Once again, after installation, you'll have to perform the update to get hal to be able to mount your drives and you'll also have to download your programs again that aren't kde4 native (openoffice, firefox, wine, etc.)

    Although, really, since you've just installed openSUSE and haven't really done too much, it might be easier to just install openSUSE 11.1 fresh to avoid any complications. But if you do have files you want saved from 11.0 you can upgrade while keeping those files.

    Good Luck,

    Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,287

    Default Re: Switching KDE versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Although, really, since you've just installed openSUSE and haven't really done too much, it might be easier to just install openSUSE 11.1 fresh to avoid any complications. But if you do have files you want saved from 11.0 you can upgrade while keeping those files.
    Sorry, I was thinking of another user that just got KDE4 sorted out. You'll definitely want to just upgrade and keep your settings. If you need any help with upgrading I can help with that.

    Good Luck,

    Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

  3. #13

    Default Re: Switching KDE versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Sorry, I was thinking of another user that just got KDE4 sorted out. You'll definitely want to just upgrade and keep your settings. If you need any help with upgrading I can help with that.

    Good Luck,

    Ian
    Hi Ian,
    Having sorted out my new box I thought I would upgrade my laptop, which is why I asked, and thanks for the offer of help.

    I have used Network install and the Internet several times on other boxes recently. It works well and only needs a small CD to start. However last night my broadband connection went bad (along with a few thousand others I am told,) so I did nothing.

    There is nothing I need to keep on the laptop so will try again tonight.

    Thanks again for the help.
    Regards,
    Budgie2

  4. #14

    Default Re: Switching KDE versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi Ian,
    Having sorted out my new box I thought I would upgrade my laptop, which is why I asked, and thanks for the offer of help.

    I have used Network install and the Internet several times on other boxes recently. It works well and only needs a small CD to start. However last night my broadband connection went bad (along with a few thousand others I am told,) so I did nothing.

    There is nothing I need to keep on the laptop so will try again tonight.

    Thanks again for the help.
    Regards,
    Budgie2
    Well I,m back using OpenSuse 11.1 installed as new network installation and with KDE 4.2.2 installed using one click install from KDE site. A couple of problems:-

    1. With original setup I had OS/2 Boot manager which enabled me to boot to XP, eCS and Opensuse. I forgot to stop Grub installation so now I boot to Grub and it offers Opensuse, Windows and OS/2 Boot Manager. Unfortunately the eCS option has gone from the BM menu. I think I can restore this using eCS CD.

    2. The text beneath the icons on desktop has a shadow effect which I had removed in previous setup. I cannot now find how I did this. Could somebody please remind me.

    3. Pointer movement (Using IBM Thinkpad) is more jerky than before when using Firefox, for example now on OpenSuse forum site. Is this movement rate adjustable?

    Otherwise OK. One question following the KDE upgrade. How do I ensure following new boots will start with 4.2.2 and not revert to original installation version? Can I remove older version?

    Regards,
    Budgie2

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,287

    Default Re: Switching KDE versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Well I,m back using OpenSuse 11.1 installed as new network installation and with KDE 4.2.2 installed using one click install from KDE site. A couple of problems:-

    1. With original setup I had OS/2 Boot manager which enabled me to boot to XP, eCS and Opensuse. I forgot to stop Grub installation so now I boot to Grub and it offers Opensuse, Windows and OS/2 Boot Manager. Unfortunately the eCS option has gone from the BM menu. I think I can restore this using eCS CD.

    2. The text beneath the icons on desktop has a shadow effect which I had removed in previous setup. I cannot now find how I did this. Could somebody please remind me.

    3. Pointer movement (Using IBM Thinkpad) is more jerky than before when using Firefox, for example now on OpenSuse forum site. Is this movement rate adjustable?

    Otherwise OK. One question following the KDE upgrade. How do I ensure following new boots will start with 4.2.2 and not revert to original installation version? Can I remove older version?

    Regards,
    Budgie2
    I cannot help you with the first question.

    2. Are you talking about on the Folder View widget? If so then you can just hover over it until the tab comes up beside it, then click the wrench looking icon. Under Display uncheck the box under Text Settings that says Show text shadows.

    If your Desktop is the actual Folder View then you can right click on your desktop and then choose Folder View Settings and it will be under Display under Text Settings.

    3. If you click the application launcher (k icon or green openSUSE lizzard) then go to Applications>Configure Desktop (Personal Settings), under Computer Administration is Keyboard and Mouse. Click that then go to the Mouse category. Click the Advanced tab and there you can adjust the pointer acceleration.

    As to your last question, I don't understand what you mean. If you did a net install and started off with kde 4.1.3 and you installed 4.2.2 correctly then it will not revert back to 4.1.3 unless you completely downgrade all your kde packages to 4.1.3. So in essence, you don't need to worry about uninstalling anything or anything reverting unless you downgrade your packages manually.

    Hope this helps!

    Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

  6. #16

    Default Re: Switching KDE versions.

    Hi and sorry it has taken me a while to reply with thanks. Been busy and lost broadband for a couple of weeks due to line fault.

    Have sorted my boot problems although now grub comes up first and offers OS/2 boot manager as option rather than other way round but all working well.

    Have removed shadows thanks! All the rest sorted too so thanks again.
    Regards,Budgie2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •