Thread: Kmail won't die

Hybrid View

Default Kmail won't die

Running openSUSE 11.1, just updated to KDE 4.2.2.

Whenever I log in to a session Kmail starts (this is in spite of following every bit of advice I have found via Google to stop this). Annoying, but not a deal breaker. All I did was kill Kmail and then start Kontact.

After updating, I can't kill Kmail. No matter if I kill it from the command line, do a file->quit, kill it using Ctrl-Esc, it respawns itself. I have turned to system tray on and off, tried work online/offline, but it won't die.

Default Re: Kmail won't die

If you have no need for it you could always uninstall it.
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Also, you can disable kmail in the system try by opening kmail, then go to Settings>Configure Kmail. Under Appearance go to System Tray tab and make sure that is unchecked.

Hope this helps!

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Thanks Ian. I do use Kmail, but only through it's integration in Kontact. I have already tried the system tray trick with no luck.

Have you tried renaming your .kde and .kde4 folders to .kdeold and .kde4old?

I'm pretty sure that'll reset what starts up on login. This way you can restore your settings from the .kdeold and .kde4 to the new .kde and .kde4 folders.

Good Luck,

Ian

Yup, already tried that earlier when I was trying to get Kmail not to autostart. My real problem this time is that it won't quit without starting right back up.

I was having this problem as well. When I restarted I would get an error that an instance of kmail was already running do I want to load anyway? I would have to exit and then start kmail. I've since stopped using the save session on exit. You could also try excluding kmail and kontact from session saving.

Quote Originally Posted by trippinnik View Post
    I was having this problem as well. When I restarted I would get an error that an instance of kmail was already running do I want to load anyway? I would have to exit and then start kmail. I've since stopped using the save session on exit. You could also try excluding kmail and kontact from session saving.
    I don't use saved sessions, but just for the heck of it I turned it on then back off with no luck. Again the real problem is Kmail starts right back up as soon as I quit it or kill it. It's the program that won't die.

Found the answer to my problem in the KDE forums. I had turned on the Contacts search in my KRunner. Apparently since this needs to access my address book, it restarts KMail as soon as it dies.

JosephKK NNTP User

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 16:46:02 GMT, msharnden
    <msharnden@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    >trippinnik;1968251 Wrote:
    >> I was having this problem as well. When I restarted I would get an error
    >> that an instance of kmail was already running do I want to load anyway?
    >> I would have to exit and then start kmail. I've since stopped using the
    >> save session on exit. You could also try excluding kmail and kontact
    >> from session saving.

>I don't use saved sessions, but just for the heck of it I turned it on
    >then back off with no luck. Again the real problem is Kmail starts right
    >back up as soon as I quit it or kill it. It's the program that won't
    >die.

You don't suppose that Kontact is restarting do you?