Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is nvidia community repository?

Default What is nvidia community repository?

I have installed my graphics card driver. But when I login, before the welcome screen appears and also before the login screen I see a screen with all black and white boxes. What could be the posible reason?

And does installing from nvidia from community repository fix this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Default Re: What is nvidia community repository?

Hi Nihilanth,

According to your other post, you've already installed the proprietary NVIDIA driver (from the Nvidia website) is this correct?

If so, you do not want to install from the Nvidia repository unless you first uninstall the proprietary drivers you are currently using.

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
    I have installed my graphics card driver. But when I login, before the welcome screen appears and also before the login screen I see a screen with all black and white boxes. What could be the posible reason?

And does installing from nvidia from community repository fix this problem?

Thanks a lot.
    This is a known issue with the proprietary driver. However, it does not cause any other problems. Also, the proprietary driver is better than the community one. So, I suggest you do not revert back to the community driver now.

I think that's KDE that's too blame, I remember reading something about it before. Normally your videocard RAM is flushed.. which isn't being done, so you're seeing old 'remnants'.

It showed me parts of Vista when I rebooted from Vista to openSUSE without powering off. It doesn't do any harm though, so don't worry about it.
    If you don't have the NVIDIA drivers installed atm, installing them will do you no good for this particular issue. I'm using the NVIDIA 'community' drivers and am still seeing this slightly odd behavior.
    You may still wish to install the drivers for other purposes however, like hardware acceleration for video's or fancy desktop effects.

[edit]
    Going by the other comments it seems to happen only if you already have the driver installed.. and I agree with syampillai, keep the situation as it is. No harm is being doing and the proprietary drivers are vastly superior.
    Special effects <- KDE 4.2 Showing off
    More KDE -> PINK KDE

Quote Originally Posted by Axeia View Post
    I think that's KDE that's too blame, I remember reading something about it before. Normally your videocard RAM is flushed.. which isn't being done, so you're seeing old 'remnants'.

It showed me parts of Vista when I rebooted from Vista to openSUSE without powering off. It doesn't do any harm though, so don't worry about it.
    If you don't have the NVIDIA drivers installed atm, installing them will do you no good for this particular issue. I'm using the NVIDIA 'community' drivers and am still seeing this slightly odd behavior.
    You may still wish to install the drivers for other purposes however, like hardware acceleration for video's or fancy desktop effects.

[edit]
    Going by the other comments it seems to happen only if you already have the driver installed.. and I agree with syampillai, keep the situation as it is. No harm is being doing and the proprietary drivers are vastly superior.
    i had the same problem
    the answer?
    remove kde4-kdm-branding-openSUSE and install kde4-kdm-branding-upstream instead

Quote Originally Posted by syampillai View Post
    This is a known issue with the proprietary driver. However, it does not cause any other problems. Also, the proprietary driver is better than the community one. So, I suggest you do not revert back to the community driver now.

what do you mean with "community" driver?
    you mean Not installing nvidia driver?
    or installing from nvidia repository?

Nvidia drivers available at the Nvidia website are not opensource. But, they are free. Since, the drivers released by Nvidia are not opensource, it can not be packaged with openSUSE. However, openSUSE comes with an opnesource driver for Nvidia cards and that is what I referred to as community driver. Anyway, Nvidia proprietary driver is superior to the opensource driver.
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

Quote Originally Posted by rd1381 View Post
    i had the same problem
    the answer?
    remove kde4-kdm-branding-openSUSE and install kde4-kdm-branding-upstream instead
    I dont get what do you mean by "kde4-kdm-branding-openSUSE" and "kde4-kdm-branding-upstream". I m a new to openSUSE and linux. So I am sorry if i ask a stupid question.

Click the application launcher (k icon or opensuse lizard icon) then go to Computer>Yast.

Once in Yast choose Software Management.

Search for kde4-kdm.

uninstall kde4-kdm-branding-openSUSE and kde4-kdm-branding-upstream will be automatically checked to install. Click accept and it will install upstream branding for kdm.

Hope this helps!

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Click the application launcher (k icon or opensuse lizard icon) then go to Computer>Yast.

Once in Yast choose Software Management.

Search for kde4-kdm.

uninstall kde4-kdm-branding-openSUSE and kde4-kdm-branding-upstream will be automatically checked to install. Click accept and it will install upstream branding for kdm.

Hope this helps!

Ian
    Thank you Ian for such a fast reply,
    But what does it mean? I mean what is the difference between branding-openSUSE and branding-upstream? And also what do they mean.

Thank you again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast