system freezing very often

Hello,

my system freezes very often, I’ve postet this problem some month before and someone told me that it could be a kernel problem and that it is fixed with a newer kernel, but now I have the problem again, especially when the cpu is fully running the systems just freezes (and needs a restart).
I’ve klicked trough the system log, and I’ve found out that these lines are the last before freezing:

Apr  1 16:46:10 linux-wuo5 ntpd[3584]: Listening on interface #5 eth0, fe80::21d:60ff:fee8:6d0c#123 Enabled
Apr  1 16:46:10 linux-wuo5 ntpd[3584]: Listening on interface #6 wlan0, fe80::219:5bff:fe74:8716#123 Enabled
Apr  1 16:46:10 linux-wuo5 ntpd[3584]: Listening on interface #7 eth0, 192.168.1.33#123 Enabled
Apr  1 16:46:10 linux-wuo5 ntpd[3584]: new interface(s) found: waking up resolver

EDIT: Hmm they are the last log entries but this seems to be, because ntpd is loading some time after the system start, maybe it is an other problem. (Maybe the nvidia driver?)
Can anyone help me?

If you don’t need NTP, try switching it off in yast → system–> system services. That’s not a fix for the problem, just a suggested workaround. Of course, it’s no use if you’re using NTP.

Maybe someone else will post the fix.

If you want to test if it’s the nvidia driver, then boot with ‘init 3’ on the option line at bootloader. If it goes right up to the console’s login: prompt, it could be the driver.

During boot, hit Esc. This way you can see the bootprocess and find out if it freezes all the time at exactly the same time.

It’s not freezing at boot time, it freezes some time after it, especially when I’m using dvd::rip and the cpu is fully loaded.
Is there any way to get a full cpu load in init 3 mode to test whether it is the nvidia driver or not?

Strahlex wrote:
> It’s not freezing at boot time, it freezes some time after it,
> especially when I’m using dvd::rip and the cpu is fully loaded.
> Is there any way to get a full cpu load in init 3 mode to test whether
> it is the nvidia driver or not?

if disabling ntp (via YaST > Network Services > NTP Configuration)
does not help:

laptop or what? openSUSE version 9.2 or what?

does top reveal any change as the freeze occurs?

do the keyboard LEDs flash when it is frozen?

once frozen, if you do not touch the keyboard or mouse for (say) 15
minutes, does it come back to life?

if after (say) 15 minutes it is still frozen, can you press the
numlock and/or shift lock key and get the keyboard’s LEDs to go on/off?

have you investigated a potential heat problem? (removed all the cat
hair and etc from the air paths…do you have temp monitoring capability?)

and, just confirm that beagle is not running…

are you using reiser file system?

it could be a DVD hardware problem: watch the DVD LED, does it seem to
have a repeating pattern…is it making a repeating sound seeking
etc? when was the last time you cleaned the laser lens?

or, memory…have you run memtest?

if you disconnect all USB devices, does the situation change? (is
either keyboard or mouse USB? can you try different hardware?)

if using desktop effects and you turn that off, do the freezes stop?

Conficter