Thread: openSUSE Patters Update Causes HP Pavillion dv7 Laptop to Hang on Boot

Unhappy openSUSE Patters Update Causes HP Pavillion dv7 Laptop to Hang on Boot

I did an install from DVD of openSUSE 13.2 a couple of months ago since there was no upgrade path from SLED 11.3 or 12.0. I had no problems or issues until I did an online update on 1/29. After that the system would hang on boot at the loading initial RAMdisk screen. I could not get the system to boot at all. (I admit I missed the Boot Installed System and Repair System options from the SLES and SLED media. Any chance of getting those back? It would have saved me a lot of time, I think.) I reinstalled from DVD and worked through the pending updates and located the package openSUSE patterns as the culprit. I am now trying to install third party software but am being prompted to install the Patterns update as well. I don't want to do that for obvious reasons. SO there are two questions: 1. Is there a fix or am I breaking new ground here? 2. How do I get YaST to stop prompting to install packages already marked as Taboo? I have the output from HWINFO and the patch technical details in files but I don't have upload priviliges. I can email them to whoever handles this post.

Thanks, Tony Cicirello

Default Re: openSUSE Patters Update Causes HP Pavillion dv7 Laptop to Hang on Boot

Did you try advanced-recovery option?

So this is often a video driver problem. Do you use any special drivers? How where they installed? Is this a Optimus system ie Intel+NVIDIA GPU??

Default Re: openSUSE Patters Update Causes HP Pavillion dv7 Laptop to Hang on Boot

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Did you try advanced-recovery option?

So this is often a video driver problem. Do you use any special drivers? How where they installed? Is this a Optimus system ie Intel+NVIDIA GPU??
    The answer to all your questions is no. This is a Turion II M520 dual core cpu with a Radeon HD4200 graphics chip. Also, for additional information, All sub-packages installed without an issue. The only ones not installed are the specific pattern packages.

I am now using BZTrFS on the root partition so I can restore, if necessary.

AMD dropped support for 4XXX cards some time ago and legacy won't run with new kernels. So you must you the OS radeon driver

Did you try the recovery boot options? Also it may help to boot with nomodeset kernel option (Press 3 at boot screen find linux line go to true end of line enter space+nomodeset )

You also did not name the desktop you use gnome may have problems if the full video driver does not work.

Without knowing what you are doing what packages you are trying to install and how you are trying to install it, no one can say whats going on. Recomends can throw you a curve if you are trying to stop installs. But in general I feel it is best to take the recommended packages since they will add to what ever you are installing. But look in the yast menus there is an option to stop installing recommended packages. But that is very general and you are fully taking into your own hands install and update any extra packages that you may actually want.

You can post extra files to off site and provide a link.