Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: installing guest additions

Default installing guest additions

ok,i spent enough time to find an answere to my question in so many different posts and forums and also googled for past two days and tried so many different tricks that have worked for someone else that had almost the same situation as i do,but here i am now in square one with the frustration of not being able to install the GUEST ADDITIONS FOR OPENSUSE 11.1.

The host is vista 64 and i am using virtualbox 2.0.4.

installing the guest additions for windows xp and ubuntu was a snap and despite being a newborn in linux world ,i could walk my way through installations easily with no helping hand.

after checking some other people's post regarding the same issue ,i learned to check the "GCC,GCC-C++, MAKE ,KERNEL SOURCE " and made sure they are all installed.

When i try to run the "sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" in terminal ,after typing my root password ,i will receive an error message that says ,the file or directory does not exist or something like that .

i was ready to delete the opensuse from virtual machine ,but i thought why not try forum and see what are my chances here,as such i had graet result in the past with my other opensuse problems.

Thank you all.mike

Default Re: installing guest additions

When you select guest additions from the tool bar of Virtual Box, openSUSE will mount it as /media/VBoxGuestAdditions (or something like that). You should see a window pop up in the lower left when this happens and you can click on the entry. Then you need to cd to this directory before executing the sh command.
    Code:
    cd /media/VBoxGuestAdditions
    By the way, VirtualBox 2.1.4 is out as well as 2.2 beta, which is what I'm using now and the guest additions work fine.

I would recommend downloading the latest version of VirtualBox from:

VirtualBox

In response to installing VBoxLinuxAddition.run:

Make sure that you installation the correct VBoxxxxx.run driver. If your guest operating system is 32-bit install VBoxLinuxAddition-x86.run - for 64-bit VBoxLinuxAddition-amd64.run.

Example install for 32-bit:

sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run

Good Luck and Welcome to the openSUSE Community!!

Cheers!
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 42.3 - Plasma 5.8.7
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.15.4
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

Then you need to cd to this directory before executing the sh command.

Thank you for that quick respond.

can you please explain little more when you say " you need to cd to this directory".

when i click on that cd ,a small window opens with about 6 or 7 different folders which has "vboxlinuxadditions.run" in it too and when i click on that ,i receive "this has to be done as admin. priviledge .click on enter to close" and then when i try the command ,it says "not a file or directory" or something to that nature.

can you please explain kind of step by step.

thanks.mike

Good Luck and Welcome to the openSUSE Community!!

Cheers! Romanator
    thank you .it is nice to be a part of this community.

Quote Originally Posted by mikearzan View Post
    Then you need to cd to this directory before executing the sh command.

Thank you for that quick respond.

can you please explain little more when you say " you need to cd to this directory".

when i click on that cd ,a small window opens with about 6 or 7 different folders which has "vboxlinuxadditions.run" in it too and when i click on that ,i receive "this has to be done as admin. priviledge .click on enter to close" and then when i try the command ,it says "not a file or directory" or something to that nature.

can you please explain kind of step by step.

thanks.mike
    The window that opens up that contains those files is the directory you need to move to. That's what the cd command I posted above is for. The directory is listed in the address bar of that window.

So you would open a terminal and become root, then cd to the /media/VBox(something). Then you can run the sh command. I believe it has x86 in the file name. That's the one you want, unless you're running 64bit Linux.

Code:
    sh VBoxLinuxAdditionx86.run:
    That's probably not exactly right but you should see the right file when the window opens. Just copy that.

I do not know what i am doing wrong.As you mentioned ,i upgrade to beta version of VB.then i took this steps:

1-opened the device on the toolbar and clicked on "install guest additions".a small window on the left bottom part of screen opens and shows a cd with the title of vboxadditions 2.0.2 beta......

2-i click on that cd icon inside the small window,a bigger window appears with some different folders.one of those folders is "vboxlinuxadditions amd 64.run".if i click on this folder ,i will receive another small window that does some fast initial process and asks me because this action has to be done with root password,then i have to click enter in order to close that window.

then i decide to open a terminal here ,and as you said type :
    /media/VBoxLinuxAdditons....... and then hit enter ,i receive an error message that says " no such file or directory"

3-finally ,after getting nowhere ,i thought i will try the sh command in your post ,and again receive the same error message "no such file ....."

I know that i am doing something wrong and the reason is that i really do not understand alot of basic terms and tricks in linux .for instance ,when you ask me "So you would open a terminal and become root, then cd to the /media/VBox(something). Then you can run the sh command. "
    honestly ,i do not know what exactly the process is to open a terminal and become root,my guess is that i have to type "sudo" in front of anything to become root.that is the only thing i know about root.and then again when you say "then cd to the /media/......." i do not know what the "cd" stands for.is it for "change direction" or change directory,in any case i use only my guess and that is why i am not getting nowhere.
    Now .with the above expalination ,please let me know ,where is it that i am not doing right and if you don't mind ,please correct me and talk to me a five year old child language.thnks for your pateince.

Blog Entries

Just a tip:

When in the directory go su in the terminal and enter your password.
    Use the TAB key on your keyboard to autocomplete text, it will do so as far as possible, you then need to add the next digit in the actual file you want and then hit TAB again until you have all the file. Just type:

sh V{TAB}
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

A really easy way to do this is to open a file browser as root so when you run that script it too runs as root. Easy as this:

hit alt+f2

type
    Code:
    gnomesu nautilus
    then click run.

The file browser will come up.

on the left hand side choose the mounted VBOXADDITIONS

Click on the script VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run and click run.

This time it will complete instead of asking you to become root.

Hope this helps!

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Just a tip:

When in the directory go su in the terminal and enter your password.
    Use the TAB key on your keyboard to autocomplete text, it will do so as far as possible, you then need to add the next digit in the actual file you want and then hit TAB again until you have all the file. Just type:

sh V{TAB}

when i try this ,all i get is "the command not fund"

and when i try to do this

hit alt+f2

type

Code:
    gnomesu nautilus

then click run.

it deos not give me any option to hit "run".

in fact ,after that command line comes up ,when i type "gnomesu natilus" the blinker still blinks and waiting for next thing to be typed up.i even tried "enter " and some other keys ,but nothing happened.

I really appreciate everybody's help and concern.I know it is frustrating.as i said i am just trying to learn how to walk.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast