• Disagree

18 24.00%
  • Strongly disagree with the choice

26 34.67%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The (first) new code name Fichte for openSUSE

Blog Entries

Default The (first) new code name Fichte for openSUSE

Well a new tradition is about to start -- code names for openSUSe releases. And the Novell guys have chosen "Fichte" as the first ever code name for openSUSE -- for version 11.2.

Read about it here:
    openSUSE 11.2 Fichte will fight Koalas and Spartans - InternetNews:The Blog - Sean Michael Kerner
    [opensuse-project] openSUSE Roadmap

What is Fichte? It's apparently named after a German: Johann Gottlieb Fichte, a philosoper 1762-1814. According to Wikipedia Fichte began studies at Jena theology seminary, but left to become a tutor, publishing a book that was accidentally attributed to Kant and thus gained Fichte a flow-on reputation. It's an interesting read. And you'll see from the portion in his wiki biography on his anti-Semitic views that the choice of Fische could be controversial.

So what's your view of this first naming for openSUSE 11.2. Personally I think they should have chosen someone more contemporary and maybe less potentially controversial -- but that's just my knee jerk reaction. What's yours.
    Last edited by swerdna; 28-Mar-2009 at 19:07.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Default Re: The (first) new code name Fichte for openSUSE

Fichte may be an obnoxious philosopher, but the translation I got was a spruce or a fir. Still, it is a bad association. The people who suggested this may be too young to be aware of the controversy.

On the other hand, if they follow the Ubuntu scheme, the next release will begin with "G" ...like Goebbels.

Change it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    Fichte may be an obnoxious philosopher, but the translation I got was a spruce or a fir. Still, it is a bad association. The people who suggested this may be too young to be aware of the controversy.

On the other hand, if they follow the Ubuntu scheme, the next release will begin with "G" ...like Goebbels.

Change it.
    The intent is to name after European Philosophers. The first four are Fichte, Rousseau, Voltaire & Lessing. See Schedule dated 15 March
    So the translation to "Spruce" is purely coincidental; the name is really for a German student of Philosophy.

Blog Entries

I wonder which Bright Spark came up with this idea. Obviously not someone who could be ranked among the so called intellectuals here mentioned. It never really occurred to me that we need to follow such a course as done by the likes of Ubuntu or Fedora.

The numerical approach is much more logical and of course is why it remains a part of the naming process. Take away 'Intrepid Ibex' from Ubuntu 8.10 and you still know for sure where you are. But take the 8.10 away...umm

To me, 11.2 will be 11.2 and nothing else. Whilst names may or may not inspire or offer a facade of 'Wonderfulness', what is more important is that it works! Concentrate on the Contents not the Packaging. I don't want it to end up like one of the 'Ready Meals' - Looks fantastic...but...

By all means, if the two can be combined (Looks Fantastic and Works!) Great. But.. 'Fichte'. It will just have people saying...'What!?'
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

i have long since given up on the idea that things have to actually make sense.

if it inspires the group working on it, then i'm all for the name, and won't deny a tad of demographic pride/identity. i wish them much success.

on my part, i'll be happy if the release has that "Timex" attribute of being rock solid and i'll nickname it "Fishsticks" and use it for ten years.

You know in my case I must say I was (until now) oblivious to any names Opensuse had. As such, I think by far many others will be too. Because when 11.2 does get mentioned it'll be called Suse 11.2 in the likes of digg, cnet, or (insert linux mag/website here). That's how it's going to be known. No one would have known or cared it had a name.
    Or at least was maybe now Fox or Boycott Novell will probably pick up on this & run with it. Should that happen though it might well be a case of
    All PR is good PR
    The scene might go like this Boycott Novell gets this accuses NOVL of antisemitism. It gets on Digg then some cable news outfit picks it up, broadcasts something like this:
    GEEKS AGAINST ISRAEL!
    Then as all kinds of mayhem erupt some spokesperson goes on these news vultures apologizes Novell changes the name. They didn't know ,yada yada, somebody will get fired. The NOVL spokesperson will say a procedure has been put into place so it'll never happen again,more yada. You've all seen it before.
    All the while some people check into Opensuse that may not have otherwise. Some will check our little distro out & stay & some won't.

Overall though I'd be amazed if any of this happens for the most part beyond Suse 11.2 no one cares. After all when we ask what version what do we ask? What do we expect as an answer? Even in the Ubu' Forums most when asked what version they don't say Dopey Dog or whatever they're calling it. When asked they in the Ubu' Forums usually answer 8.04 or 7.10 not Goofy Giraffe or whatever.

So IMO it'll be nothing or it'll be publicity that'll get us noticed. If Opensuse gets noticed it'll be OK things like this do fade into the past. Then no one cares. If it's nothing then we'll be doing the usual stuff. The surge of novelty people writing here saying "My Suse doesn't work! Somebody Help Me
    And,of course, we will 'cuz we're good guys/gals that love our distro.
    Opensuse an equal opportunity Linux distribution!
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.

My 64 bit: Gateway 5670 UPDATED | RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

* swerdna wrote, On 03/29/2009 04:06 AM:

> Well a new tradition is about to start -- code names for openSUSe
    > releases. And the Novell guys have chosen "Fichte" as the first ever
    > code name for openSUSE -- for version 11.2.

The marketing trick worked, it seems: People talk about the product. Must be fun to take part in conference calls these days, because I doubt the Americans are able to pronounce it correctly (what was wrong with "Kant", btw? :-)

Uwe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buckesfeld View Post
    ...........what was wrong with "Kant", btw? :-)

Uwe
    Nothing wrong with any of them as thinkers, including Kant. But politically smarter to use a non-controversial one first up. If it was deliberate, then it was at least bold.

You know, it reminds of that german cuss word..

* swerdna wrote, On 03/29/2009 10:46 AM:

> Nothing wrong with any of them as thinkers, including Kant. But
    > politically smarter to use a non-controversial one first up. If it was
    > deliberate, then it was at least bold.

Agreed, see my off-topic reply in the beta forum :-)

Uwe

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast