Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compiz Fusion on KDE 4.2/ OpenSuse 11.1

Default Re: Compiz Fusion on KDE 4.2/ OpenSuse 11.1

Alright...let's make sure you're on the same page as I am. Firstly, uninstall any compiz packages that you have.

Then follow this link Index of /repositories/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_11.1 and use compiz-kde.ymp

This will install compiz-fusion, emerald, and the fusion-icon onto your system. It might say something about failing to download plugins-main and plugins-extra.

Go into Yast Software Management and search for compiz. Re-download:
    compiz-fusion-plugins-main

and also download compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

If you want extra themes for emerald then download
    compiz-emerald-themes

Restart your computer.

Once back in KDE, hit alt+f2 to open Krunner. Type:
    Code:
    fusion-icon
    and press enter.

right click on the compiz fusion icon in the system tray and make sure Compiz is selected for Select Window Manager.

Then right click on the compiz fusion icon again and under Select Window Decorator choose Emerald.

Open Configure Desktop (personal settings) (K-icon or green lizzard icon>applications>Configure Desktop)

Under Personal choose Default Applications. Click on Window Manager. For Default Component click "Use a different window manager" Choose Compiz. Not compiz custom. It will change to compiz as the windows decorator and the titlebars will disappear momentarily. Wait for them to reappear and then click accept change.

Restart your computer and compiz should be up and running by default.

Then you can open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    emerald-theme-manager
    and then click import, choose the file you downloaded, and then select it for emerald to use it.

Hope this helps!

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Ian, okay, give me a few minutes before I get an update on this or shoot a doubt Meanwhile I tried sending you a message on ICQ, not sure you got it.
    Thanks a ton for this mate.
    - A

Sounds good. I wasn't signed in, I'm online now if you'd like to try again.
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

I pinged you again at ICQ, not sure if you got it. I guess it would be of much help if I could talk with you in a chat window. I am at 32632430

Not really sure how to do what you just asked me to do, so could you just add me? My icq number is 139987879

Thumbs up Re: Compiz Fusion on KDE 4.2/ OpenSuse 11.1

There repo for the KDE 4.2 from the factory is the one below (contains very fast Compiz version 0.8.2 )

Index of /repositories/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_11.1_KDE4_Factory

While kwin is also great but it lacks much stuff which you can find in Compiz. Be sure not to mix compiz version fromk other repo. Be sure to use ONLY 0.8.2 version. there is also simple-ccsm.

If you want to run emerald-windows then at the Configuration-->> Default Applications -->> Window Manager use Compiz. If you'll be using emerald don't forget to download additional themes (also from this repo) and just invoke it with Alt+F2 and typing emerald.

P.S. If you won't have taskbars just be sure to install simple-ccsm and enable Window Decorations, Move Window and Resize Window in settings.

Good Luck!!
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Tagarth NNTP User

I have been reading forums for the last few days trying to get Compiz to work in Suse 11.1. I finally got the ATI drivers to work with the 4850HD and proceeded to work on Compiz to no avail. I found this thread. Followed the steps. Still not working. Here is where I run into a snag. When the install is done it states: The following packages could not be installed : fusion-icon. Now I have looked and the fusion-icon package IS listed in Index of /repositories/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_11.1/x86_64. So fine, I think, Ill just install it from the rpm. It doesn't complain about it and seems to install fine. So now I have it. I right-click and load it from the krunner dialog. What I get in the task-bar is a generic icon with a red x in it. Great a broken icon or the program is borked. Any ideas why this wont load from the .ypm? Also, I notice that when playing around in ccsm i get a message say something to the effect of "Sexy python packages not installed. These are not necessary blah blah blah." Necessary or not, which python packages is it referring?(there are like 20mil of them you know) Cause I like the sound of sexy python packages and would like to have a sexy system. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

You don't need the fusion-icon to enable window decorations anymore. It's a handy tool, but this can easily be achieved by opening up the ComizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM) and under Effects there's a plugin called Window Manager. Make sure it's checked and then click into it. Look for "command". Next to it, it probably says compiz-decorator. Erase that. Then type

emerald --replace

Then set compiz as your default window manager as stated by BenderBendingRodriguez.

I'm not really sure what could be wrong where it's asking about python-sexy. But if you open Yast Software Management and search for python-sexy. You can install python-sexy. Therefore having a snakingly (that's not a word is it?) sexy system.

Good Luck,

Ian

Talking Re: Compiz Fusion on KDE 4.2/ OpenSuse 11.1

Cause I like the sound of sexy python packages and would like to have a sexy system.
    No offense but this is one of the funniest lines I have ever come across!

Tagarth NNTP User

Thanks for the info ijbreakey. That was very helpful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast