Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is Suse's next release?

Binku NNTP User

Post When is Suse's next release?

Hi everybody,
    I have seen that ubuntu and fedora are going for release their new versions soon. (see: Ubuntu 9.04 Technical Overview | Ubuntu and https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg00004.html) and with ext-4 and brtfs file systems.

See:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedor...t4_File_System

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedor...fs_File_System

What's with openSUSE?

Default Re: When is Suse's next release?

openSUSE 11.2 Schedule

November 2009: After much discussion, we've reached a decision to release 11.2 (named "Fichte") in November 2009.
    Source: → Roadmap - openSUSE

Blog Entries

Is that German for fir tree?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

It's actually "spruce", but that's not what the 11.2 is named after. It's named after Johann Gottlieb Fichte, who was one of the most prominent founders of the →German Idealism. This naming is somewhat controversial, since J.G. Fichte was also known for his anti-Semitic tendencies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    It's actually "spruce", but that's not what the 11.2 is named after. It's named after Johann Gottlieb Fichte, who was one of the most prominent founders of the →German Idealism. This naming is somewhat controversial, since J.G. Fichte was also known for his anti-Semitic tendencies.
    I can't believe they could be so unaware of the probable political problem!
    Last edited by swerdna; 28-Mar-2009 at 19:11.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Well, they could've gone for Heidegger...

Had a loook at the time Fichte actually lived?

If you try to find somebody of that time period not having nationalistic and/or antisemitic tendencies you will rule out most of the candidates (in every country, not only in europe).

Blog Entries

Well maybe you guys are right. I don't see it that way, but maybe there are moderatting circumstances - so I'll tone down my initial reaction and just say this: I think it shows a lack of alignment with world opinion?

But what would I know, maybe I'm out of tune, so I popped the question over here to see:
    The (first) new code name Fichte for openSUSE - openSUSE Forums
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

* Akoellh wrote, On 03/28/2009 01:26 PM:
    > Had a loook at the time Fichte actually lived?
    >
    > If you try to find somebody of that time period not having
    > nationalistic and/or antisemitic tendencies you will rule out most of
    > the candidates (in every country, not only in europe).

That's an oversimplification.

The time after the French revolution saw a lot of what Americans these days would call "nation building". Napoleon finished the Holy Roman Empire in 1806, taking away a central symbol of identification for Germans (not that the Empire played much of a role back then poltically, but the official end of a history which lasted from the early medieval to 1806 was quite a shock). In the aftermath, several political movements in Germany drove towards building a nation, but it took until 1871 until the German Nation was founded: As a Prussian Monarchy. (Very short version)

At the same time, we see what is called the "Jewish Emancipation". The USA granted equal rights to Jews in the Bill of rights, same happened during the French revolution. Napoleon brought equal rights for Jews to the conquered areas in Europe, including Germany. Before that, antisemitism was pretty much the "default" in Europe; jews were a minority, pogromes almost a tradition.

From my point of view, the 19th century was the first century in Europe where you could find "non-anti-semites" at all. That makes it indeed problematic to choose Fichte.

And now back to the really important issues (KDE is better than Gnome, my Wifi doesn't work.....)
    :-)

Uwe

Binku NNTP User

Smile Re: When is Suse's next release?

Thanks for everyone! I am in love with suse!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast