When is Suse's next release?

Hi everybody,
I have seen that ubuntu and fedora are going for release their new versions soon. (see: Ubuntu 9.04 Technical Overview | Ubuntu and https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-February/msg00004.html) and with ext-4 and brtfs file systems.

See:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Alpha_release_notes#Ext4_File_System

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Alpha_release_notes#Btrfs_File_System

What’s with openSUSE?

openSUSE 11.2 Schedule

• November 2009: After much discussion, we’ve reached a decision to release 11.2 (named “Fichte”) in November 2009.

Source: → Roadmap - openSUSE

Is that German for fir tree?

It’s actually “spruce”, but that’s not what the 11.2 is named after. It’s named after Johann Gottlieb Fichte, who was one of the most prominent founders of the →German Idealism. This naming is somewhat controversial, since J.G. Fichte was also known for his anti-Semitic tendencies.

I can’t believe they could be so unaware of the probable political problem!

Well, they could’ve gone for Heidegger…

Had a loook at the time Fichte actually lived?

If you try to find somebody of that time period not having nationalistic and/or antisemitic tendencies you will rule out most of the candidates (in every country, not only in europe).

Well maybe you guys are right. I don’t see it that way, but maybe there are moderatting circumstances - so I’ll tone down my initial reaction and just say this: I think it shows a lack of alignment with world opinion?

But what would I know, maybe I’m out of tune, so I popped the question over here to see:
The (first) new code name Fichte for openSUSE - openSUSE Forums

• Akoellh wrote, On 03/28/2009 01:26 PM:
    > Had a loook at the time Fichte actually lived?
    >
    > If you try to find somebody of that time period not having
    > nationalistic and/or antisemitic tendencies you will rule out most of
    > the candidates (in every country, not only in europe).

That’s an oversimplification.

The time after the French revolution saw a lot of what Americans these days would call “nation building”. Napoleon finished the Holy Roman Empire in 1806, taking away a central symbol of identification for Germans (not that the Empire played much of a role back then poltically, but the official end of a history which lasted from the early medieval to 1806 was quite a shock). In the aftermath, several political movements in Germany drove towards building a nation, but it took until 1871 until the German Nation was founded: As a Prussian Monarchy. (Very short version)

At the same time, we see what is called the “Jewish Emancipation”. The USA granted equal rights to Jews in the Bill of rights, same happened during the French revolution. Napoleon brought equal rights for Jews to the conquered areas in Europe, including Germany. Before that, antisemitism was pretty much the “default” in Europe; jews were a minority, pogromes almost a tradition.

From my point of view, the 19th century was the first century in Europe where you could find “non-anti-semites” at all. That makes it indeed problematic to choose Fichte.

And now back to the really important issues (KDE is better than Gnome, my Wifi doesn’t work…)
:slight_smile:

Uwe

Thanks for everyone! I am in love with suse! :slight_smile:

it does not matter one tiny little bit.

back on topic: the 11.2 release date is making more sense now the Gnome3 plan has been announced.

get the last good gnome included (2.28) before things go haywire with with the 3.0 release in spring.
being generous, it will be at least Gnome 3.2 before anyone wants to use the new Gnome3 paradigm.

should mean the KDE4 users will get 4.3.1 at least, a stabilised release of the real KDE4 deal.

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap

hayathms, why dicha chick out all of a sudden? Were you afraid of being associated with baby killers? :slight_smile:

chuckle

Thu, Jul 14 2011, openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 3 was my answer to!

Thu, Sep 22 2011, openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 6 is designated “Beta” to encourage publicity for testing prior to RC1, which leaves little time to develop fixes for inclusions in the GM, for the DVD.

Coolo’s announed delay to Official 12.1 M3 due to testing team finding kernel oops with 3.0rc6 kernel.
It’s because of the openSUSE kernel bug https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=705085 which “Cloddy” may have hit, according to one report the vanilla kernel works fine - See Re: [opensuse-kernel] 3.0-rc7, pretty please?

Build126 is in Index of /factory/iso

i586 - openSUSE-NET-i586-Build0126-Media.iso
x86_64 - openSUSE-NET-x86_64-Build0126-Media.iso

So could use that and zypper dup next week to get a fixed kernel.

Why do you discuss such old release plans?

Must “only” be the Live CD’s which are branded “12.1 M3” the net build install says M2 still.
Seems like the Milestone’s are more snapshots of Factory at a (hopefully) good moment, rather than something branched and sprinkled with magic dust.

There’s Index of /factory-tested/repo which auto tests core packages, so ought be less risky than factory, as announced openSUSE Lizards but that seems stuck since the weekend and the 3.0rc6 update, ties in with Coolo’s announcement.

Enjoy the history! Next release is next week :wink:

Because he was discussing it on 07-Apr-2009.

On 2011-07-14 14:06, ulenrich wrote:
> Why do you discuss such old release plans?

Somebody came in, jumped in the thread, and made a very… impolite?
politically incorrect comment. The post was deleted, although I can still
read it on nntp.

Then robopensuse, who probably did not see that post, jumped in thinking
the thread was alive, and started making technical posts, out of context

X’-)

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I installed build120 and got the kernel oops. How can one use zypper dup to get the fixed kernel if the install won’t boot?