Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repository Management

Default Re: Repository Management

Thanks for the repo info, caf. I was wondering what, if any, the benefit of switching my system packages to say the packman repository? I have seen it suggested before but don't know if it would be beneficial. From what I have read it's best not to do it over a wireless connection. Thanks,
    Rusty/marinegundoctor

my repo's are:
    Code:
    #  | Alias                                             | Name                                                | Enabled | Refresh | Type
    ---+---------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+---------+---------+-------
    1  | Google_Linux_Software                             | Google Linux Software                               | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    2  | Kino_for_openSuse_11.2                            | Kino for openSuse 11.2                              | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    3  | Official_openSUSE_11.2_Update_(Security&Bugfixes) | Official openSUSE 11.2 Update (Security&Bugfixes)   | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    4  | Official_openSUSE_11.2_nonOSS                     | Official openSUSE 11.2 nonOSS                       | Yes     | Yes     | yast2
    5  | Official_openSUSE_OSS                             | Official openSUSE 11.2 OSS                          | Yes     | Yes     | yast2
    6  | Packman_from_jacobs                               | Packman                                             | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    7  | Ruby_Ripper                                       | Ruby Ripper                                         | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    8  | Ruby_Ripper_factory                               | Ruby Ripper factory                                 | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    9  | Wicd                                              | Wicd                                                | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    10 | Wine_Repo_(Official)                              | Wine Repo (Official)                                | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    11 | download.opensuse.org-Apps                        | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps                  | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    12 | download.opensuse.org-Backports                   | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Backports               | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    13 | download.opensuse.org-Community                   | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:KDE4:Community          | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    14 | download.opensuse.org-STABLE                      | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org              | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    15 | download.opensuse.org-VirtualBox                  | openSUSE BuildService - Virtualization (VirtualBox) | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    16 | download.opensuse.org-games                       | openSUSE BuildService - Games                       | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    17 | download.opensuse.org-standard                    | Main Repository (Contrib)                           | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    18 | download.opensuse.org-webcam                      | openSUSE BuildService - Drivers for webcams         | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    19 | download.opensuse.org-xfce                        | openSUSE BuildService - XFCE                        | Yes     | Yes     | rpm-md
    20 | download.videolan.org-SuSE                        | VideoLan Repository                                 | No      | Yes     | rpm-md
    21 | kfreitag                                          | kfreitag                                            | No      | Yes     | rpm-md
    22 | openSUSE 11.2-0                                   | DVD openSUSE 11.2-0                                 | Yes     | No      | yast2
    Last edited by marinegundoctor; 31-May-2010 at 16:11. Reason: missing info
    Leap 42.2
    KDE (mostly)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marinegundoctor View Post
    Thanks for the repo info, caf. I was wondering what, if any, the benefit of switching my system packages to say the packman repository? I have seen it suggested before but don't know if it would be beneficial. From what I have read it's best not to do it over a wireless connection. Thanks,
    Rusty/marinegundoctor
    That's a big list.

The advantages are that it will switch your multi-media packaging to Packman where that isn't already the case. This is important.
    Any updates are best done a reliable connection. If that is wireless, fine. The laptop that I am writing this on us run on wireless all the time, including for updates.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks for the answer. I usually run wireless as well and have never had a problem with updates. I had read about someone having that problem on another thread here.
    After learning more about repositories I think my list may be too big. I suppose I should trim them down to the core essentials. Some, such as "Wicd" and webcam drivers were added because I couldn't find the software in my existing repo's; and the official wine repository had a more recent version of wine I preferred. Do you think it's okay to keep those active to stay updated?
    I had a problem when I first installed openSUSE. There was so much software to choose from I installed WAY too much and am still trying to weed out programs I don't need or use.
    Thanks for your help as always,
    Rusty
    Leap 42.2
    KDE (mostly)

Blog Entries

It should be OK to keep them. Just be careful. With 11.3 on the way soon. Perhaps you will try that? A fresh install and try keeping the repos down a little. You may well find better support in 11.3, the kernel is bringing a great deal of added support, especially for things like wireless and graphics. Once you have switched application to the various repos, make sure packman is the last one you do it with.
    Then all you should need to do is zypper up
    And the switches hold.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I believe that's sound advice. Thanks again.
    Leap 42.2
    KDE (mostly)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12