Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How useful do you find Beagle?

Default Re: How useful do you find Beagle?

Just an opinion.

I have 8 folders in my home directory, non of them contains applications.
    "91,427 items, totalling 87.8 GB"....yet i can still find anything i'm looking for.
    I tried beagle, it's slow, memory hungry and pointless.
    If i forget to remove it during the installation, it's the first thing i remove after.
    So i don't use it and never will.....no matter what there are going to do to it.

Quote Originally Posted by marius_szabad View Post
    Just an opinion.

I have 8 folders in my home directory, non of them contains applications.
    "91,427 items, totalling 87.8 GB"....yet i can still find anything i'm looking for.
    I tried beagle, it's slow, memory hungry and pointless.
    If i forget to remove it during the installation, it's the first thing i remove after.
    So i don't use it and never will.....no matter what there are going to do to it.
    You really don't get it. It is not because you don't need it that it is pointless.
    Google desktop, Beagle, tracker, Microsoft live search are not there just because it is useless to index documents.

I don't want to see a useful application being withdrawn just because a few people don't understant how useful it is because their needs are limited.

How will you enumerate the documents containing "ssh proxy" if you are looking for a good tutorial about it ?
    File names or good organisation by category won't be a great help to find all the contents you need.

And what's about e-mail indexing ? I can find any info in barely 2s. You call it slow ?

Beagle integrated with many application and criticizing it telling "oh, I don't need it, my files are well organized" does not make sense.

And also, repeating it is memory hungry is totally wrong. I mean FUD.
    It is taking 14 Mb of memory on my system. Nowadays even an old machine is supposed to have 1 Gb of memory. So what's the problem ?

I find people here too narrow minded, sorry.

@phocean

if i had a tutorial for "ssh proxy", i would (as i always do) have it put it in a .pdf or .doc file, placed in the subfolder "ssh" under the folder "tutorials". 99% chance that file name WILL contain words like "ssh.proxy" or just "ssh".....and if there are so many of them, i would just open up a nautilus, go to the tutorial folder, pres control+f and write "ssh"......and there it is, so sorry but that's how i feel about beagle.
    As i said above....actually that's how i started it is "Just an opinion".

Quote Originally Posted by marius_szabad View Post
    @phocean

if i had a tutorial for "ssh proxy", i would (as i always do) have it put it in a .pdf or .doc file, placed in the subfolder "ssh" under the folder "tutorials". 99% chance that file name WILL contain words like "ssh.proxy" or just "ssh".....and if there are so many of them, i would just open up a nautilus, go to the tutorial folder, pres control+f and write "ssh"......and there it is, so sorry but that's how i feel about beagle.
    As i said above....actually that's how i started it is "Just an opinion".
    Ok, but the book or the document is probably not - actually most of time - only "ssh proxy" but about Linux administration.
    You may have other books about this subject that don't talk about ssh proxying.
    You may also find the term among other books about BSD or network administration which should be in a different folder.
    You may also took some notes in the past about it, and in that case your notes are probably in again another folder with you *.doc documents., or maybe you will just find out that a co-werker sent you an e-mail or you had an IRC conversation about it...

It is the typical way I use Beagle. I am not particulary disorganized or dumb. I appreciate to get all this in one click in a single window.
    You can't do it another way, without a content indexer, so there is no question Beagle may be useful.

The true reason I believe it should be set up by default like now, is that it is the kind of killer app to show off to potential new users...

Killer App?

One persons "killer app" is another persons trash.

In all seriousness, I don't like beagle, I don't want beagle, I always remove beagle.............

Not because I don't know how to use it. But because I simply don't want it, it is a resource pig, and is unneeded.

Choice is a beautiful thing.

Allowing people to choose is a much better option then preloading this kind of junk into an operating system.

I get your points/arguments....but i still don't need it, i can't remember one case where i needed those qualities.
    I bought myself a macbook pro 4.1, i used mac osx for about 3 month and never used their search "thing" called "spotlight" if i remember correctly, which people say that is works, it's awesome and has no problems. The reason is simple.....i don't need it. None of my linux friends use beagle either.
    No offense intended to the guy/guys who wrote beagle, but it's not like they reinvented the wheel.
    Trying to force or convince people to use something that they don't need it not a solution.
    As brucecadieux said: "One persons "killer app" is another persons trash", and read again my preview post and see how i started it's "just an opinion".

Quote Originally Posted by phocean View Post
    The true reason I believe it should be set up by default like now, is that it is the kind of killer app to show off to potential new users...
    So we should install every "killer app" by default and have them running because "someone might find them useful"?

If Beagle was written in something that didn't make me laugh it might actually be useful. As it is now, it's nothing more than a waste of resources and gives a VERY poor image of SuSE to new users that wonder why their computers run like Vista on a Pentium 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    So we should install every "killer app" by default and have them running because "someone might find them useful"?

If Beagle was written in something that didn't make me laugh it might actually be useful. As it is now, it's nothing more than a waste of resources and gives a VERY poor image of SuSE to new users that wonder why their computers run like Vista on a Pentium 60.
    Oh yeah, we just missed the Mono troll here. Done. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by phocean View Post
    Oh yeah, we just missed the Mono troll here. Done. Pathetic.
    Oh I see, pointing out that adding another slowing layer to your OS is clearly trolling.

Snap. I'll keep that in mind.

No you are right, libraries are hell. Just do it in assembler.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast