Thread: truecrypt

Default truecrypt

Last I heard this was not installable on Suse 11.0 because of conficts. Is this still true? If it isn't, could someone put together a clear and verified method for installing it?

Thanks.

Default Re: truecrypt

i installed it fine, but it doesn't display.

apparently this is because it uses an incompatible version of wxwidgets/cygwin.

so a friend removed the one of the versions and then everything worked hunky dory.

I've been using version 6.0a (64 bit) right from Truecrypt's website for some time now without any problem. It works great. I can't recall having any problems with it.

Do you happen to remember how you installed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumper View Post
    I've been using version 6.0a (64 bit) right from Truecrypt's website for some time now without any problem. It works great. I can't recall having any problems with it.

Smile Re: truecrypt

Here is what I did :

1. Go to TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux
    2. Download the truecrypt version for OpenSuSE to your desktop, for instance :

truecrypt-6.1a-opensuse-x86.tar.gz

3. Untar it in Konsole mode (or in a text session) :

cd Desktop
    tar xvzf truecrypt-6.1a-opensuse-x86.tar.gz

You now have this (x86 version) :

truecrypt-6.1a-setup-opensuse-x86

which is a script file. Run it by typing :

bash truecrypt-6.1a-setup-opensuse-x86

And bingo ! Truecrypt is installed, something you can easily check by just typing :

truecrypt

Looks like this 6.1a version is graphical, though not as thorough (yet) as the Windows one.

Have fun !

I just accessed a 70 GB truecrypt file that I had created on Windows (NTFS, of course) and things seem to work fine with the graphic interface :

1. click "select file" and choose one (the one, in my case, created under Windows),
    2. click a truecrypt volume item (for exemple 20, as "T" is the 20th letter in the alphabet)
    3. click "mount" (and supply password when prompted to do so)
    4. Supply administrator password for the mount

From now on, double-clicking on the icon "20" in that Truecrypt windows opens your crypted "volume", that you can use just like any Linux directory. Copying data out decrypts it on-the-fly.

Please remember that you will have to supply the administrator's password again to dismount the truecrypt "volume" unless you want to keep it until you shut down the system.