Thread: Installing 32-bit Java from Java.com (rpm terminal yast)

Default Installing 32-bit Java from Java.com (rpm terminal yast)

If you're like me, at a new installation or upgrade of openSUSE, this webpage Verify Java Version will likely tell you that you need to install Java, or your Java is not up to date.

It will look like this.

This guide will help you to install the latest Java from Java.com. I will provide screenshots of my computer as I go through this step-by-step guide.

Let's get started shall we?

The first thing you'll need to do is go to Download Java software for Linux from Sun Microsystems and download the Linux RPM (self-extracting file). If you're using firefox it will automatically download to the Desktop, otherwise specify it to download to your Desktop folder to keep consistent with this guide.

Next, we'll need to open up dolphin or konqueror or nautilus and get into our Desktop folder. Then right click on the jre-6u12-linux-i586-rpm.bin file you just downloaded (or whatever version you just downloaded) and click properties. Click on the Permissions tab and check "Is executable".

Next we'll need to open up a terminal (Konsole for kde users, or GNOME Terminal for GNOME users) and type this:
    Code:
    sudo /home/username/Desktop/jre-6u12-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    Enter your root password, hit the space bar to get to the bottom of the license agreeement, then type yes and this will create the .rpm file for you.

Next go into your /home directory and click on the .rpm file that was created for you. Enter your root password and this will open Yast2 up and it will take over as if you were installing any other .rpm file.

Next, you'll need to create a symbolic link so your web browser can use the java plugin. Open up a terminal and type this:
    Code:
    su
    enter your root password

Code:
    cd /usr/lib/browser-plugins
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_12/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    note: this is one line!

All done! Now you can verify that java is successfully installed on your computer and the plugin works. Go to this site again Verify Java Version and test it out.

It should now look like this

Hope this helps!

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Default Re: Installing 32-bit Java from Java.com (rpm terminal yast)

I've also written a How To for installing 32-bit Java using Yast (from the repositories). You can find that here:
    Installing 32-bit Java the Yast way - openSUSE Forums
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

New update for java. Update 13. You can use the same method to install the update, just substitute 13 instead of 12.

This isn't in the repo's yet, so as I said before, you get the updates faster this way

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    This isn't in the repo's yet, so as I said before, you get the updates faster this way
    Code:
    rpm  -qa --last "*java-1_6_0-sun*"
    java-1_6_0-sun-plugin-1.6.0.u13-1.1           Tue Mar 24 22:15:45 2009
    java-1_6_0-sun-alsa-1.6.0.u13-1.1             Tue Mar 24 22:15:45 2009
    java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u13-1.1                  Tue Mar 24 22:15:37 2009

What repository are you getting that from? I still only have up to update 12 and that code that you used didn't show any output on my computer. I refreshed all my repositories before I tried too.

What repository are you getting that from?
    Rebuild using the "nosrc.rpm" for u12 from openSUSE-update repo as a template.

I still only have up to update 12 and that code that you used didn't show any output on my computer. I refreshed all my repositories before I tried too.
    Then certainly the package(s) created by this rpm.bin-installer have another name that does not fit this search pattern (which may cause problems/file conflicts when upgrading to java from official repositories if you do not uninstall the "hand crafted" rpms before).

Oh, alright. That's neat. I only knew of two ways to install Java. One from the repositories from just choosing it in Yast and then from the java.com website.

They install into different directories so maybe that's why the command didn't work to check it?

They install into different directories so maybe that's why the command didn't work to check it?
    No, certainly not.

Read the section about querying packages in "man rpm" for more information.

Thanks for the info! I'm still quite new to learning and experimenting with linux so it's always great to learn something new.

When I use

Code:
    rpm -qa --last "*jre*"
    it shows

Code:
    jre-1.6.0_13-fcs                              Fri 27 Mar 2009 04:46:24 AM EDT
    which would explain why, in yast, I have jre with the version number being red.