Connect two 10.3 boxes

Can someone direct me to a server/client howto so I can share files between two SUSE 10.3 computers connected by a router without using SAMBA? I tired to do this via Konqueror using “fish” but with no success.

Is there not a way to do this using Yast?

Thanks.

You don’t need to use SAMBA etc. Make sure that the networking is correct and you can use “fish” using konqueror.

First of all, you don’t need a router to connect them, a hub/switch will do the trick. If you just have 2 machines, you can even connect them directly using a cross-connected UTP cable.

Make sure that the machines have static (or dynamic, if served from a DHCP server) IP addresses (and gateway addresses if they are sitting on different networks). Test the set up by pinging each other. See if you can connect via ssh. (The first time you run ssh, it will ask you to add into the known-hosts list. Do it so). Now, try “fish” from knoqueror.

Thanks syampillai.

But I found my solution before I got your answer. The problem was that the Yast Network Services included “NFS Client” but did not have a “NFS Server” icon. I installed yast2-nfs-server, restarted Yast, clicked on the newly installed icon and it worked out all the dependencies. I am now connected and working out the permissions issues.

I will try the “fish” method later as I am curious why it didn’t work before.

Thanks again.

Nice to hear that.
Since NFS is a proper file system that can be locally mounted from the remote machine, it will work as if you have a local disk.

For the “fish” method (better use sftp) you need to open the ssh port (22) in the firewall. Jic