Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unnecessary password

Exclamation unnecessary password

I am new to Linux. I have installed openSUSE 11.1 with KDE v. 3. The system asks for a password if the screen saver has been activated and ignores any attempt to deactivate this unnecessary religious ritual. The KDE was updated to 4.2 - or was it a new and extra installation?. I am not able to control if the old files were removed. The installation procedure is not transparent compared to Microsoft operating systems.

Blog Entries

Default Re: unnecessary password

Can you supply list of enabled repositories? This command will give us the info:

zypper lr

KDE will only get updated if you had factory repo, or KDE 4.2.1 repos enabled.

With KDE 3.5, you can configure screen saver (password control) via Configure Desktop -> Screen saver. You can enable or disable 'Require password to stop' as desired.

Blog Entries

This is a bug that seems to have been introduced with a recent KDE update and has to do with the powersave daemon. There was a thread about this, with workaround, search for it using those terms.

Blog Entries

Sorry, looks like I misunderstood problem. (apparently with KDE 4.2 update). Hope its fixed soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gulvsand View Post
    I am new to Linux. I have installed openSUSE 11.1 with KDE v. 3. The system asks for a password if the screen saver has been activated and ignores any attempt to deactivate this unnecessary religious ritual. The KDE was updated to 4.2 - or was it a new and extra installation?. I am not able to control if the old files were removed. The installation procedure is not transparent compared to Microsoft operating systems.
    Fist about your screensaver: if you had read what was in the screen where you selected the screensaver, you would have seen an option to lock screen, and require unlock to stop screensaver. So not openSUSE, you decided.

Do you know what you are saying? M$ transparent ? Can you see through what their installers do? Then please explain this transparancy: No matter whether it's the old Celeron 400 or my X2 6000, Windows installers always tell me the install is going to last for 39, 33, 23, 21, 19, 17, several minutes. Always. Try simply replacing Vista by XP. Is it transparency that floods the fora? Come on.
    Any single line containing the words transparency and microsoft in one sentence is a contradiction in itself.

Your problem is, that M$ have already done something to your mind: you've started thinking like a Windows-computer. You're not asking for help, you're just making a statement, with virtually no ground. Blaming the OS for not reading.

Transparency: This Program was terminated due to a serious error, Click OK to continue.....

LOL
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Question Re: unnecessary password

Well, that was a very polite answer. I am no friend of Microsoft, but MS seems to be the only usable system for home and office use. It is usable, but certainly not as it should be. My first computer was a DEC PDP 11 (1980) with the RT 11 operating system. I learned programming in assembler and Fortran. I am still preferring assembler and C (not C++). This is my third attempt to see if Linux can replace MS. My first two attempts were removed from the Hard disc within the first 24 hours, because of unrecoverable bugs. OpenSUSE Linux has been installed on my Internet-Computer (separated from the rest of the system) for 10 days now. My blood pressure gets raised every time I have to retype the password.
    The problem is probably older than the KDE 4.2. The reason for updating to 4.2 from the installation version was the problem with the password.
    I can forgive plain and simple programming errors, but not those who seems to have some religious or ideological background. My first encounter with passwords was a similar situation. I worked in Norway as a general practitioner. The computer-system was DOS-based with an Novell network. Every time a patient was to be examined, I had to leave my desk. When I came back, the running program (PROF-DOC database system) had activated a screen-saver (for safety reasons, was the explanation given). The program could only be restarted by typing a password. Nobody else were in the room and the screen-saver could not be deactivated. That is many years ago now, but I am still reacting allergic to screen savers and passwords.
    I hoped that Linux was so mature now, that it was able to replace MS, but this seems not to be the case.

If it was a bug, it must have been fixed.

Just disabled password for screensaver (because I _explicitly want_ this) and works fine for me.

//edit:

To be sure it's not an architecture related problem, just rebooted to x86_64, also no problems here.

Thanks for wasting my (up)time.....

Talking Re: unnecessary password

I can understand that it is not a general problem. An architecture related problem seems less probable, but here are the relevant technical data of the system. The oldest computer in the household becomes the Internet computer: Medion with an Intel 3 GHz hyperthreading processor, 1 GB memory.
    To complete the comparison with MS: I am programming my own install programs and I know what they are doing. The APIs for Linux, f.ex. the KDE are high level C++ functions. These are comparable to BASIC = beginners allpurpose symbolic instruction code. Note: beginner. You do not know the internals of a C++ interface.

Well, it is a general problem, it's called PEBKAC :-)

Unhappy Re: unnecessary password

Please explain - was it an attempt to say something funny, only understandable for people educated in an English speaking country, or was it meant as usable information.
    There is a problem - but is it only on my installation? If so - why and where.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast