SAX2 Altered my font size! What?

Okay, so once I had everything figured out, everything was working on my laptop smoothly, I go and mess it up, but it still really doesn’t make any sense.

I just bought an Eee 1000HE and the screen displays at a maximum of 1024x600 resolution, and needless to say, that leaves a bit to be desired, especially because the Virtualization tools in Yast (among other dialog screens) don’t resize, so I can’t click ‘Next’ or anything; they’re hidden below the end of the screen.

So, I tried changing the resolution in Sax2 and it worked, as far as I could tell, I could see the dialogs at the bottom of the screen (everything was tiny, but that’s to be expected). After I finished I used Sax2 again to revert back to the old 1024x600 resolution, and the fonts were displayed… tiny.

Nothing in my fonts settings had changed at all, and when I try to change it to make it more readable, one thing or another was left out, when I force DPI in the configuration menu, Firefox fonts displayed correctly, but popup dialogs, like a sudo prompt, would be huge. The login screen, context menus, everything has changed because I changed my resolution once, and I can’t get it back; one thing or another is either too readable or completely unreadable, reverting back to the default in the KDE menu makes everything tiny again.

My questions: is there a way for Yast or Sax2 to probe my system configuration as it did during install and adjust the settings to their original default? How/why did this happen, and what can I do to prevent it next time? How does everyone view windows that are too tall for the screen and won’t resize :wink: ?

Thanks for the help.

Hi
I’m using the same system here as well and with no issues with the
dialogs at all in YaST, every thing resizes fine?

Here is a copy of my xorg.conf for you to compare against.
<http://www.nopaste.com/p/aKbRFV3CH&gt;

If you use the mouse and the alt key to move windows (alt+left-click)

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.19-3.2-pae
up 0:23, 1 user, load average: 0.32, 0.24, 0.25
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Thanks for the help. I looked through the xorg.conf file and a lot of variables were there, I had way more resolution options, and there was a line in the “Monitor” section that isn’t there with your configuration that specifies a 305 230 display size, and I think that was the culprit. Why SaX2 would edit this is kinda beyond me, but everything is ‘fixed’ now, displaying correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Hi
Glad I could help, just upgraded the HDD in mine to a 250GB one :wink:
Maybe we can trade notes sometime on things that aren’t/are working :slight_smile:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.19-3.2-pae
up 1:14, 2 users, load average: 0.60, 0.54, 0.48
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME