ok sorry but this is so so stupid! help please^^

hey
ok this is kind of embarrasing, but well anyway,i was real happy to get cairo dock up working like i wanted to, and i played around with the settings, well and now it dissapeared of my screen, and i cannot set it to default because i cannot access it because its simply not there so i can get into the preferences … any ideas?:shame:

Enter a terminal, and if using gnome, type;

gedit ~/.config/cairo-dock/current_theme/cairo-dock.conf

If KDE substitute kwrite for gedit. Somewhere in that file is the setting you changed - sorry, but there’s no easy way to guess what it is. Look for something obvious, and if you can’t find it, post back, and we’ll try to copy some sensible defaults over it.

[ETA on second thoughts I have no idea where KDE keeps its cairo-dock settings, so the substitution may not work - hopefully you’re using gnome]

hey im using gnome and i typed in what you told me but it just opens gedit with a blank screen? what to do now?

thanks for nt laughing lol

It’s very easy to do - I’ve mucked it up thoroughly myself.

Unfortunately, I’m using a newer beta version of it, and it probably has a different placement for its config file. Open a file manager, and set it to show hidden files. Explore your home directory for a cairo-dock/current_theme/cairo-dock.conf or something similar. Delete or rename it, and you’ll be fine.

i found that file after searching for ages but i cant delete it? its kinda see through and it wont even give me the option to delete it

i think i need root permission, how do i log in in the file manager with root? i am using thunar file manager, just wit h su in termial? i tried that and that did not work

Isn’t there a superuser terminal somewhere in the menu?

What happens if you type
‘su -
thunar
exit’
into a terminal?

Although I have to admit I’m surprised it wants you to be root…

Where is the file, and what version of cairo-dock are you using? It should tell you in YaST.

korky111 wrote:
> i think i need root permission, how do i log in in the file manager with
> root? i am using thunar file manager, just wit h su in termial? i tried
> that and that did not work

IF you need root permission/power to edit that cairo-dock.conf (or
ANY file) in YOUR home directory, then your home directory is
severelyscrewed**up!!

on the other hand, the correct way to become root and run any file
manager is explained in detail, here:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Login_as_root

using Gnome and Thunar i blieve the magic would come with:

gnomesu Thunar

solo

ok
i am having version 1.6.3.1-0.pm.20081207 installed… i started thunar through super user terminal and deleted the file you told me to but it still does not make any diffrence, when i start cairo-dock, i still cannot see anything…
@ multipilpersonality
i don’t understand what you mean that i have to put in the consol, and if my directory is screwed up, how do i fix it?

there is one thing i really don’t understand, i tried to delete cairo through yast and reinstall it and it is still the smae= why is it like that?

Because if

a) you had messed up your personal config in your hone it will not be deleted, of course

b) the package had a bug (no, I don’t know if it has one) reinstalling does not remove the problem, how should it?

well it has been working before but than i played around with the configaration of it…

how do you think i can solve my problem? i dont think my whole syst is screwed up, i mean i got cairo-dock working and like all visible before and yer than i played around and now it is gone?

Search and remove the screwed-up config files of course.

(And from now on, BACKUP your configs before you start screwing them up.)

but how do i identify them? like what makes them stand out and where do i look for them?

Search your home for files containing “cairo” or use “grep” to search files in your home containing “cairo”.

Read “man grep” and “man find” for more information.

And if you find files matching your search patterns READ them before you delete them or MOVE them instead of deleting.

umm sorry, i am new to linux… what kind of patterns?

Search patterns = “What you are searching for”, so if you search for “cairo” your search pattern is “cairo”.

So not linux-related at all.

oo righto, thanks, i am not native english speaking, im german so i apologize

Me too, pattern = “muster”.

What you can try to have a quick overlook if it’s rellay only a configuration problem, is to add a new user via YaST and login as the new user.

If cairo-dock is running there, you only screwed up your personal config.

ok i created a new user and it works, so how can i fix it so it works on my “normal” account?