How Do I switch to KDE

Hi there,

I had installed openSUSE 10.2 before and after somedays I upgraded that to 11.1.

I have a problem though, I could shift to KDE environment from the login screen in 10.2, but I dont get that option in 11.1’s login screen. So my default environment is gnome. I want to try KDE as I have heard its great. How do I fix this problem? How can I switch between environments?

Thanks in advance!

Nihilanth

As long as KDE is installed, you should find it in the sessions manager at the bottom left before log-in. If you don’t see it there,it’s not installed

Andy

As long as KDE is installed, you should find it in the sessions manager at the bottom left before log-in. If you don’t see it there,it’s not installed

Andy

I never see that Session Manager on the pre-login screen. I used to see it when I had installed openSUSE 10.2. So from what you say I dont have KDE installed. Alright.

But did the updation wipe away my previous KDE version?

And also please let me know how to install KDE again.

Thank for your reply.

Nihilanth.

You may just need to change your display manager to kdm from gdm. It should be possible to choose KDE from gdm, but some users have reported problems with this. Anyway, have a look at ‘Using KDM instead of GDM’ section here. After making the necessary change from yast /etc/sysconfig Editor then log out and the kdm display (login) manager should start. There you can choose to launch KDE session as you remember with previous suse versions.

try this. this might work.

after logging in to gnome open up a terminal and type :

switchdesk kde

logout and log in
you should now be logged in to kde

it usually works for me on fedora/RHEL

AFAIK, the switchdesk command is not available in openSUSE.

You probably have auto-login configured for the first user. In Gnome logout, it’ll show you the login-screen. At the bottom left there’s 2 options, Menu and Session. If you installed KDE4, you should be able to select it from Session, then log in, and you should see KDE4 now.

I have got the KDE fixed. It was because I had not installed KDE 4. How stupid :X! I can successfully login and I can see how awesome KDE looks, but surprisingly I cant see the title bars of the windows that are being displayed and that is such a nuisance since I cant close the window without going to menu bar. Why is this happening? Are title bars of windows not visible in KDE by default? What should I do to see them?

p.s: The title bars are visble in KDE 3 that was already installed with my opensuse 10.2. And now I have 11.1.

Thank you for your replies!

Perhaps I wasn’t very clear and may be the post was too long to read or neglected because it was at bottom.

The question is:

“How do I make title bars of windows visible in KDE4? The tile bars are not visible and that cause a great nuisance. Please help me with this.”

Thank you.

I have had this happen when compiz enabled and one particular theme enabled. Some themes seem to be problematic. See if choosing another helps. Many users have found kwin preferable to compiz for performance reasons as well. It may be worth upgrading your kde 4 installation (if running kde 4.1).