Thread: sound bug with zypper

fnfranco NNTP User

Question sound bug with zypper

I've got a problem on my openSuse 11.1;
    whenever I install something with zypper, the sound stop working, and when I uninstall and reboot, it goes back to normal.
    Anyone have an idea of what could be the problem?

This happened with the following programs: wine, ktorrent and prozgui.

Thanks in advance =)

Blog Entries

Default Re: sound bug with zypper

Quote Originally Posted by fnfranco View Post
    I've got a problem on my openSuse 11.1;
    whenever I install something with zypper, the sound stop working, and when I uninstall and reboot, it goes back to normal.
    Anyone have an idea of what could be the problem?

This happened with the following programs: wine, ktorrent and prozgui.
    I don't see how this can happen.

Next time you "lose" your sound, instead of un-installing and rebooting, run this in a konsole/terminal:
    su -c 'rcalsasound restart'
    and enter root password when prompted for a password, and restart your mixer, and test your sound.

When testing your sound, a simple test to see if your sound works, is to open a konsole or xterm, and type (it may be easier to copy and paste this into your konsole/xterm):
    speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
    Note Linux is case sensitive, and D is not the same as d. To stop the above test, while the konsole/xterm has the mouse focus, press <CTRL><C> on the keyboard. Note you should check your mixer settings (kmix if using KDE, and alsamixer if using Gnome) to ensure that PCM and Master Volume are set around 95%. After you establish basic sound, you can back off on your audio. Note the test for surround sound is different.

If that test yields errors, try instead this more simple test:
    speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav
    You should hear a ladies voice saying 'FRONT LEFT','FRONT RIGHT' five times. Often only one of those two tests will work, which is ok.

If you have no sound after the above, before rebooting, document your sound configuration, so it can be examined by others. You can do that, if you are running openSUSE-11.1, by running the following with root permissions in a konsole (ie type 'su' (no quotes, enter root password when prompted) first):
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

run that twice. The first time it will ask for an update (if this is the first time you have run the script) and the second time it will pass to you a URL when it is complete. Post the URL here. Just the URL.

What you might find useful is to run that script when your sound functions ok and keep the URL. Then run the script again when your sound does not function (after confirming it does not function with the tests I provided above) and record the URL. Then compare the two script outputs.