Thread: ownership rights in root sufolders

Default ownership rights in root sufolders

Hi all,

i have a dual boot system (suse 11.1 / vista). i do understand whole principle of not giving write access to windows partition out of the box, and that i do not require.
    Partition mounted under /windows folder.
    Wat i really want is to have full access to /windows/c/users folder.
    I have tryed to:
    Code:
    chown -hRv myname /windows/c/users
    and i could see in terminal output that user of that folder was changed from root to me.
    But actually it wasn't!? i couldn't create folders there or anything. And when i went there from dolphin and right clicked on the folder it showed me (as i suspected) owner - root.
    How can i gain full access to that folder (and subs as well) without "chowning" whole /windows folder

Default Re: ownership rights in root sufolders

You can't change permissions on a non-linux partition and certainly not on a NTFS.

You need to use ntfs-3g to get write access to the ntfs drives (edit fstab for that).

But beware, do not play with the permission on such partition, you risk to screw up you windows system.

Blog Entries

NTFS is not controllable by chown and chmod because NTFS filesystem does not understand Linux ownerships and permissions. Linux ownerships and permissions are artificially and temporarily imposed by the software in the driver that mounts the NTFS partitions, called ntfs-3g. And that's activated by a line entry for each mount in the filesystem table, fstab.

You will have a mount command in fstab (/etc/fstab) that dictates the permissions inside directory /windows/C. The line in fstab will look something like this:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6B160P0_B42H1WJH-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

You have to change the portion after ntfs-3g from whatever it is currently e.g.
    HTML Code:
    users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    to this
    HTML Code:
    defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    That will create temporary permissions and ownership of root:root drwkrwxrwx along the whole directory tree structure from /windows/C onwards. You can't change the permissions structure anywhere along the tree.

FFI: HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE 10, 11
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

aha.....learn something again...

thnx guys