Thread: VDPAU solution under OpenSUSE 11.1

Hybrid View

larvanitis NNTP User

Default VDPAU solution under OpenSUSE 11.1

Hi, I would like to know if there is any way to play an mkv video using VDPAU decoding, without compiling software.

I have OpenSUSE 11.1 + factory + packman repos and I wouldn't mind adding more if needed. I also have successfully installed and running the latest stable binary driver from the repos.

I have the latest ffmpeg from packman, which I think supports VDPAU decoding.
    Code:
    > ffmpeg -formats | grep vdpau
    FFmpeg version 0.5, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
      configuration: --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --libdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-shared --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libspeex --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-libxvid --enable-swscale --enable-postproc --enable-gpl --enable-vhook --enable-x11grab --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libdirac --enable-libgsm --enable-libx264 --enable-libamr-nb --enable-libamr-wb --enable-libdc1394 --enable-nonfree --enable-pthreads --enable-vdpau
      libavutil     49.15. 0 / 49.15. 0
      libavcodec    52.20. 0 / 52.20. 0
      libavformat   52.31. 0 / 52.31. 0
      libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
      libswscale     0. 7. 1 /  0. 7. 1
      libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
      built on Mar 10 2009 22:09:29, gcc: 4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291]
     D V D  h264_vdpau      H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10 (VDPAU acceleration)
     D V DT mpeg1video_vdpau MPEG-1 video (VDPAU acceleration)
     D V DT mpegvideo_vdpau MPEG-1/2 video (VDPAU acceleration)
     D V D  vc1_vdpau       SMPTE VC-1 VDPAU
     D V D  wmv3_vdpau      Windows Media Video 9 VDPAU

Default Re: VDPAU solution under OpenSUSE 11.1

larvanitis wrote:
    > Hi, I would like to know if there is any way to play an mkv video using
    > VDPAU decoding, without compiling software.
    >
    > I have OpenSUSE 11.1 + factory + packman repos and I wouldn't mind
    > adding more if needed. I also have successfully installed and running
    > the latest stable binary driver from the repos.
    >
    > I have the latest ffmpeg from packman, which I think supports VDPAU
    > decoding.

If you have a fairly recent Nvidia card (8800GTS or better for example)
    and you have a fairly new Nvidia driver, then it's either there, or
    easily enabled via some kind of switch in xorg.conf.... I don't have
    a new enough Nvidia card.

Blog Entries

Is not mkv (matroska) a wrapper? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska And hence it depends on the codec of what ever is in side the wrapper to see if it is supported by vdpau ? So just saying mkv does not mean much. From what I have read, vdpau supports only MPEG1/2 (VP1, VP2, and VP3), H264 (VP2 and VP3), and VC-1 (WMV3,WMV4,WMVC1 in VP3).

I've been spending a lot of time looking into vdpau for Linux, in anticipation of my purchasing an AVCHD camcorder and a new PC in a month or two. I documented some of my research here: High Def Video - openSUSE Forums

From what I have read, the latest proprietary nVidia driver and the latest packman ffmpeg support vdpau, although there still are some bugs being ironed out.

I note the nVidia vdpau is the Linux equivalent of the nvidia Pure Video HD. There are purportedly 3 generations of the Pure Video HD: Nvidia PureVideo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and I think the VP1 (1st generation) is supposed to support MPEG1/2 decoding.

VP1 purportedly supports GeForce 6 series (such as geForce 6600). VP2 starts with the G84/G86 GPU (sold as the GeForce 8400/8500/8600/8600 series) and includes the more recent GeForce 9600 and 9800 series.

larvanitis NNTP User

Ok let me rephrase here because I think I wasn't very clear.

My hardware (8600 GT) and driver (180.29) support vdpau for decoding the file. The mentioned mkv is h264 and supported as well.

What I would like as an answer is "yes, you can install X client from Y repo and use these settings (or open it using X command line client (ffplay?) with this command)" or "no, you can't do that yet without compiling".

For example, I know that if I compiled a fairly recent version of mplayer myself, I should be able to play that file.

Thanks for your time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larvanitis View Post
    What I would like as an answer is "yes, you can install X client from Y repo and use these settings (or open it using X command line client (ffplay?) with this command)" or "no, you can't do that yet without compiling".

For example, I know that if I compiled a fairly recent version of mplayer myself, I should be able to play that file.
    Reference custom compiling mplayer, to ensure it supports vdpau, I can't help, as I never custom compile mplayer. It is possible user microchip may be able to help there, as he often custom compliles his mplayer version.

I note here a long nvidia thread on mplayer and nvidia vdpau:
    mplayer vdpau - nV News Forums

I also note this benchmark review [Phoronix] NVIDIA VDPAU Benchmarks , where after vdpau was compliled with mplayer, purportedly the " -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau " arguments were needed

My understanding is the Packman packaged version of ffmpeg does have some vdpau support compiled within, but the vdpau implementation in ffmpeg is very much still a work in progress. I've read of kdenlive users (using the latest svn version) reporting they have noted a difference when their ffmpeg has been compiled with vdpau support, but I've also noted others complained they could not get it to work.

If ffmpeg (and ffplay) have been built with vdpau support included, I do not know the command/switch specific for ffmpeg to either disable or use the support. It could be automatic for all I know. It could be similar to mplayer's implementation. I simply don't know.

I don't have graphic hardware yet that comes anywhere near close to running this (nor do I have a PC with a motherboard that will support such a graphic card), so I am not able to investigate. Hopefully users like yourself who have the hardware can do the investigation and post back. Maybe next month (or the month after) when I purchase a new PC, I'll be able to look at this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larvanitis View Post
    There has been some development in this for openSUSE, in that the latest MPlayer packaged by a Packman packager now supports VDPAU. There is more in this thread ...
    vdpau mplayer / ffmpeg - openSUSE Forums

As to your original question, ... can a video inside an mkv wrapper be decoded (assuming it is H.264, or MPEG1/2 or VC-1 encoded) ? I don't know yet, as I am still waiting for my nVidia 8400GS to arrive (by mail) so I can play with this.

But given that the Packman packaged MPlayer now supports VDPAU, it should be very easy for you to test this.

I've also started a wiki page on this, but that page is very prelminary, and it needs some input from a user who actually has a card that supports this, as opposed to my somewhat useless pontification and regurgitation of notes I have made in preparation in advance of my graphic card arriving: Video editing/avchd - openSUSE

yes, mkv, mp4, avi, etc all work with vdpau since they are just containers for the audio/video. Use mplayer with appropriate video codec

mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau file.mkv