OpenOffice 3.0.1 when?

Hello,

Just wanted to know if there was a date for the release of OpenOffice 3.0.1 on SuSE 11.1 yet. Yes, I could pull it down from the OpenOffice site, but I would rather it come as a normal update. The Weblog plug-in needs 3.0.1. I got really used to creating my blog entries with OpenOffice and publishing from within it back when I used Ubuntu.

Dear friend,

Did you add the openSUSE 11.1 repository for the OOo? You must add it. I have it in my repos list and I have OOo 3.0.1.3.
If you open yast2, in the Software section you will find the entry Software Repositories. In there you can press the Add button. Select the Community Repositories and after a while it will show you all the repositories that are from the community. You can select the OpenOffice one. If you don’t find it you can add the URL manually: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.1

The updater checks for critical updates. This means that you have to update it by yourself. The procedure is simple:

Open the yast2. In the Software section select Software Management. After a while the final dialog box appears. You can select Repositories from the Filter list. In the list of the repositories you have, select the OpenOffice one. The right part of your screen will be filled up by the openoffice packages that are available. Just right-click there and select the “All in this list >” entry from the menu. This will pop-up another menu. You select the “Update if newer version available”. All the new packages will be selected for update. Press the “Accept” button and your system will download and install all those new packages.

You may have the problem that you have the Sun version installed. 3.0.1 is the Go-OO version and therefore is not regarded as an update of the Sun version.

In order to avoid any conflicts, I used YaST>Software management to delete the Sun version and then YaST>Online update to select the Go-OO version. Whether you need to use such a roundabout way as that, I don’t know, but it worked for me.

Note, that openSUSE (like Debian or *buntu) will not provide official “Version-Updates” for a released distribution, the OOo-Repository is “non-official”, so use at your own risk.

Interesting, as *buntu does not even ship OOo 3.0 officially (8.10 contains OOo 2.4), so you also need a third-party repo to use it.

I got the Go-OO version from openSUSE STABLE - you can’t get much more official than that.

In fact Novell has been packaging the Go-OO version officially since at least 2007.

The only official repositories are the oss, non-oss and the update-repository (debug and sources also, but they do not provide applications themselves) and that’s it.

http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories