Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need Caches and why

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Do I need Caches and why

When I look at in My Computer Memory info. and why it eats away my memory caches.
    I believe there is no fix for it,ttto slow down a little is it?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do I need Caches and why

Cache is good. Leave it alone.

What Ken said.

Linux has one of the best memory-management schemes I've ever seen. That's one reason why it runs well on older hardware.

smpoole7 adjusted his/her tinfoil beanie to write:

>
    > What Ken said.
    >
    > Linux has one of the best memory-management schemes I've ever seen.
    > That's one reason why it runs well on older hardware.
    >
    >

Ditto Ken and smpoole7.

unused memory is wasted memory, if linux needs it for apps then it will
    otherwise it caches stuff it "might" need in the future allowing near
    instant access instead of having to load from disk which is a lot lot
    sloowweerrrr.

:-)

--
    Mark
    Nullius in verba
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

I run yesterday almost to the max only left was 13mb,what will happen it max out will my computer blow in my face

Being cache, if new memory is needed parts of the cache will be cleared. It's not a problem you should have to worry about. However if there is a specific reason that you want to clear the cache you can use the following command:
    sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Blog Entries

Can't happen. Cache is anything that's not free, or in use by programs or buffers, so can never exceed available memory. As the OS keeps going, free memory gets turned into program memory, or is in buffer or cache memory. Those last two categories can be recycled anytime when needed for programs.

It's when program memory exceeds available memory and the OS has to resort to swapping that the performance goes south.

Thumbs up Re: Do I need Caches and why

what I did I transfer between 9GB--> 40gb with sub-folder from ext.HD to internal HD,I like it to reformat my ext.HD so I can use on Suse and WinXP/may win7 in future.
    I was monitoring my ram that is all,if I burn my ram well get a new one.
    I don`t worry and I appreciate all of you for your extra time for helping me.

Tnx

Solved

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by baskitcaise View Post
    Ditto Ken and smpoole7.

unused memory is wasted memory ...
    This.

Michael, as pointed out in another thread by a poster with the handle "primary," I think you're still thinking in "Windows" terms. I'm not a Windows basher -- it certainly has its uses and it is, after all, by far the most popular -- but it's anything but perfect. The fact that Windows has problems with memory management, agressively swapping to disk when it doesn't need to, allowing disks to become horribly fragmented, etc., etc. ... ... does NOT necessarily apply to Linux.

Sure, Linux was written by fallible people who are capable of making mistakes. But it started as a kernel project, and the user interfaces were added later (CLI first, then GUI). It's quite highly-optimized and well-thought-out. The Kernel maintainers are constantly looking for tiny little tweaks that will make it a wee bit faster or more efficient.

And if you need proof of that, simply compare the press releases from Microsoft to those from the Linux kernel maintainers. They live in different worlds.

A PS ... (I'm feeling loquacious this morning, probably because I'm putting off going out in the rain to work on the control circuits at one of our stations!).

Let me give you a common example. We routinely reboot our Windows workstations at the studios. We've just learned the hard way over the years that after a week or two, they're so slow and clogged up that it's just part of routine maintenance to do a clean shutdown and restart. And yeah, we regularly clean up temp files on them, too (touching on that other thread). But our Linux servers literally run for months at a time without a restart. There's a reason why that's possible under Linux.

To be fair, some Windows partisans will argue that the latest versions can run for weeks without a reboot. That may be in specific cases. But especially if you're running older Windows software, you'll generally find that you have to reboot and clean up from time to time. And yeah, you DO have to tweak the memory management in some cases.

I'm not criticizing you for asking these questions. But once you finally realize just how COOL Linux is "under the hood" (i.e., in areas that the average user never sees ... i.e.e., the Kernel level), you'll REALLY love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast