Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Batch resize images

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    40

    Default Batch resize images

    I am looking for a GUI who could resize me a folder of images. I tried to write a script for this with imagemagic and the convert command but it is just somehow not working with big images and it is so un-convenient to always edit the script.

    There are a lot of tools like this. And I just can not find one for linux. What do I miss while searching?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Batch resize images

    The only thing that comes to mind might to photo managment apps like Gallery2 - which use imagemagick on the backend and have some functionality to resize images, but I don't think this is going to really do what you want with enough flexibility.

    If you would like help with your script maybe that is the route to take, or make a simple php web page where you put in the args you want and pass those to image magick with a system exec() (or similar) call?

    Pete

  3. #3
    ab@novell.com NNTP User

    Default Re: Batch resize images

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Googling for 'batch resize image linux' gave me a few great links you
    should probably try:

    http://ulyssesonline.com/2008/09/22/...ges-with-gimp/

    http://www.smokinglinux.com/tutorial...esize-on-linux

    http://tuxtraining.com/2008/03/03/ma...h-imagemagick/

    Good luck.





    LewsTherinTelemon wrote:
    > The only thing that comes to mind might to photo managment apps like
    > Gallery2 - which use imagemagick on the backend and have some
    > functionality to resize images, but I don't think this is going to
    > really do what you want with enough flexibility.
    >
    > If you would like help with your script maybe that is the route to
    > take, or make a simple php web page where you put in the args you want
    > and pass those to image magick with a system exec() (or similar) call?
    >
    > Pete
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJJut0BAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5+WcP+weJOZHHkQZZQ0LRHixSxU4O
    U5SHoJpYjd1D1Fwf3saBOBzs0svISJ6ieB41kFMVedmFKV8rweQW0ZN43nXuqYI1
    gSPu/o48MX/1KJURli/vsrxu9/xshH1T6RYD9e5D6mO7jLFrb0AXpixGSZMibUbs
    W2NVp9pDTg5qEyRaQnQeJjTupCtUsgRnz0v1WRZ8fFcNkIZMmnsh+WOiP2vqNoEv
    EJf30XA0h+mCdrzAbHni8ccJWPq8FhLF4C2qCAo1c+A8cMKlmwMrEt879O44hxB+
    K0D/ZEFuZwmcTjixEIDzOmpTlOz7M6niBEm5e/j0mlDSDm4oEYN5STDRAMUW0xuk
    YhUvQiOvsLc7CDrAkB0P4vZg/Pc9xuPs2noRUGCWwgk/txv5/I15YkyuPn7fOmnx
    jMwuui1gOy1MBSLcNyAT2bBRX9AOpMzFtPmo4/Ygj/X1cuhRs2sinF5pWXOVQtqj
    ZVVT7UpYTDDFRd2+7hxjPxbJIZh++aTW6y3Djre0Pami+PPcOT/n+oIFtT1lB1VT
    yylL5+zib+tfh3lmwVbWWPv3suCa7HSWYEVB7IfYNcX/Y18B/rCU8gJHPA1htCjo
    9+jFWg0MbeGVyeubbeArhin7DMr3en3q6sL3qdhHM5E2XtPNvTlEVn28qho9zVjX
    Ly3wReMywRRb/rEqGJcj
    =5lHK
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  4. #4
    primary NNTP User

    Default Re: Batch resize images

    kisrokus wrote:
    > I am looking for a GUI who could resize me a folder of images. I tried
    > to write a script for this with imagemagic and the convert command but
    > it is just somehow not working with big images and it is so
    > un-convenient to always edit the script.
    >
    > There are a lot of tools like this. And I just can not find one for
    > linux. What do I miss while searching?


    no script required (but, you could have SEVERAL, for different sizes,
    etc and never have to edit them) say you want all the *.jpg photos in
    the directory named ~/photos-to-process to be (say) half their
    original size, then:

    -cd to ~/photos-to-process
    -type
    mogrify -scale 50% *.jpg
    -press enter
    -smile

    or, if you want them to all be (say) 1024x768, then as above except:

    -type
    mogrify -scale 1024x768 *.jpg

    mogrify is part of imagemagic...easy..

    --
    primary

  5. #5

    Default Re: Batch resize images

    might not be exactly what you have in mind but there is a konqueror servicemenu tool at Converter KDE-Apps.org .... the author also has a script for kommander use on the site also.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Batch resize images

    Quote Originally Posted by primary View Post
    or, if you want them to all be (say) 1024x768, then as above except:

    -type
    mogrify -scale 1024x768 *.jpg

    primary
    This is a grate way if you have like 2 photos. But I have 300 and 3 MB each. With this method I cant follow the prozess.

    The Gimp plug-in will be my like! Thanks Folks for the reply s!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Batch resize images

    What size are your photos? What errors make you think that imagemagick is failing to convert your photos? I have had no problems using convert from imagemagick on 7Mpx photos from an idiot digital camera. There are also the netpbm tools, of which I used the pamscale program to shrink a 24Mpx photo. It was a synthetic one, made from concatenating 8 photos in a matrix.

  8. #8
    primary NNTP User

    Default Re: Batch resize images

    > This is a grate way if you have like 2 photos. But I have 300 and 3 MB
    > each. With this method I cant follow the prozess.


    huh? it you put all 300 (or 3000) in one folder, then you can do them
    ALL with just one command!!

    all in ONE batch..

    --
    primary

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •