Thread: Installing openSUSE 11.0 From Live CD: Question

Question Installing openSUSE 11.0 From Live CD: Question

I've been trying to install openSUSE 11.0 on a fairly old piece of hardware (Pentium III, 512 MB RAM) that my friend brought over. I have experience installing openSUSE onto a virtual machine, but have never tried it on actual hardware. Needless to say, I was excited to try.

However, when I try to boot the openSUSE Live CD, it hangs at the "Mounting CD" phase in the KIWI CD Boot system. I have waited up to 3 hours for this step to complete, and nothing. I don't know many other options for installing since the computer only has a CD-ROM Drive. It's not a problem with the CD as I have tested it out on my laptop.

Additionally, I tried to install Xubuntu from a live CD. As it looked like it was about to load, the kernel spit out some nasty messages similar to the following:

[103.236970]end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sctor 1428912
    [103.236116] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 178614

And these repeated over, and over, and over...

Other live cds that worked for me: **** Small Linux and GParted.

My question: What alternates do I have to install openSUSE or any other version of Linux? I have looked into a PXE boot, but I don't think the BIOS supports it on the machine. I have also been looking into trying to install from a USB, but I have to double-check the BIOS support for that too.

Please help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installing openSUSE 11.0 From Live CD: Question

Sounds like it might be a bad drive. The distros that work are small ones meaning that the distro only occupies the first part of the CD.

Have you tried the option to check the medium from the splash screen? That might tell you for sure if you are having drive problems.

Aside from the obvious remedy of replacing the drive you could do a NET install from the 100MB or so NET CD, but this will either: fetch the packages over the Net, meaning you should be comfortable with spending your download quota (the exact amount depends on how many packages you choose), or you need a donor machine for the packages, which would be from the DVD.

Thanks. The NET CD worked. I wasn't even thinking that the drive could have been "partly" faulty. Guess I was thinking in binary, it works or it doesn't

Is the NET cd the same as a mini-iso?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Blog Entries

I don't know what else it's called but it's the one you get when you click on the radio button Network (Experienced Users Only) and called Mini CD at this page:

Software.openSUSE.org

I downloaded it but couldn't get it to install. I couldn't connect to the internet where the pc was located for some reason. I brought it home and tried it here.

I first tried a regular DVD install with a usb DVD drive. But it would not boot from a usb drive. I left the DVD drive connected and tried installing from Net CD. However, after it booted, the DVD drive took over!!! and it install from there.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Blog Entries

Installing from the Internet is not the only thing it can do. It can also install from a NFS, SMB or FTP server on the LAN among other things. I've used to to do an install on a machine without a DVD drive, by mounting the DVD on another machine and exporting the contents over NFS. There should be a wiki page about it.

I've been thinking about the CD install as I have no DVD available where I want to install.

The download page list the DVD and the LiveCD as well as the Net install but these are not what I need.

The download help says there is a CD iso but I can't find the download for it - at least I can't see a radio button for it.

Pointers would be appreciated.

by mounting the DVD on another machine and exporting the contents over NFS. There should be a wiki page about it.
    @Ken Yap - this would also be interesting if I knew what I was doing and there was some instruction help available.

Thanks

duo NNTP User

jcsullivan wrote:
    > I've been thinking about the CD install as I have no DVD available where
    > I want to install.
    >
    > The download page list the DVD and the LiveCD as well as the Net
    > install but these are not what I need.
    >
    > The download help says there is a CD iso but I can't find the download
    > for it - at least I can't see a radio button for it.
    >
    > Pointers would be appreciated.

go to http://software.opensuse.org/
    1. radio button select your flavor (32, 64 or PPC
    2. choose network medium: Network (Experienced Users only)
    3. choose to download by "Standard (ftp or http)
    4. click to download Mini CD

>
    >> by mounting the DVD on another machine and exporting the contents over
    >> NFS. There should be a wiki page about it.

>
    > @Ken Yap - this would also be interesting if I knew what I was doing
    > and there was some instruction help available.

Step-by-step installation guide
    http://en.opensuse.org/INSTALL_Local

Internet Installation
    http://en.opensuse.org/INSTALL_Internet

what is missing?

--
    duo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcsullivan View Post
    The download help says there is a CD iso but I can't find the download for it - at least I can't see a radio button for it.
    AFAIK the only CDs available are the LiveCD and the NET CD. There is no install only CD. Where the help talks about the CD, it means the LiveCD. After you have booted up the LiveCD and got a desktop, you can install from it.