Thread: Session locks by itself

Default Session locks by itself

I'm using kde 4.1.3 on openSUSE 11.1 64 bits on a laptop. Since last week, the session randomly locks (the screen become black and I need to insert my user password to un-lock it) with a notification from the power manager saying that the screen is locked.
    I tried removing the kde4 folder and for some days everything went ok, but everything restarted again. Someone suggest me to stop krunner, and doing so the lock stop, but I still get the notifications. Looking another thread with plasma problems on kde forums, I issued the following commands:
    kquitapp krunner
    ps aux | grep krunner
    krunner &

and this is the result:
    kquitapp krunner
    ~> ps aux | grep krunner
    myuser 6831 0.1 1.4 415944 29964 ? Sl 13:22 0:03 krunner
    myuser 7224 0.0 0.0 16116 1000 pts/2 S+ 14:17 0:00 grep krunner
    ~> krunner &
    [1] 7227
    [here it is when the problem occurs]~> X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
    Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
    Resource id: 0x4200006
    krunner_lock(7240) KxkbCore::settingsRead: Kxkb is disabled, exiting...

If I run a program using krunner (in this case, kwrite), I get

findServiceByDesktopPath: not found
    Object::connect: No such slot PowerDevilRunner::updateStatus()()
    Object::connect: (sender name: 'KDirWatch-2')
    Object::connect: (receiver name: 'PowerDevil')
    findServiceByDesktopPath: not found

When the problem occurs again (and again, and again... only the Resource id change):

[1]+ Done krunner
    ~>
    ~> X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
    Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
    Resource id: 0x4400006
    krunner_lock(7262) KxkbCore::settingsRead: Kxkb is disabled, exiting...

It does not happens all the time. Some days everything is ok but other days is almost impossible to work, specially when running with batteries: instead of a locked screen, I get a warning that suspend to ram will be performed in 10 seconds... something is wrong with the openSUSE's powerdevil backport, I guess... but everything went without problems for two months! Why all this mess now?
    Need I upgrade to kde 4.2.1? I don't like factory repos...
    Thanks

Default Re: Session locks by itself

OK, after a burst of rage, I installed kde 4.2.1 and now everything is (seems to be...) ok.

Well, err... It is not solved: it happened again... Looking at the powerdevil profiles, I've seen that the default settings tell the system to lock the screen if there is no activity for 15 minutes in the case of "performance" profile, or to suspend to ram in the case of "powersave" profiles. It seems that sometimes powerdevil cannot realize that the system is being used, "think" that the user just forgot the computer on and issue the lock screen/suspend to ram command.
    I changed those settings to "do nothing". But this is a "work-around", not a proper solution...

I was having the same problem; screen would lock with increasing frequency, starting at about every 10 minutes and happening faster and faster, to the point where the machine was unusable for more than a few seconds at a time.

Went to 'Configure Desktop -> Advanced Tab -> Service Manager' and from there turned off PowerDevil. So far, all is now blissful.

I don't understand why PD is activated on a desktop installation in the first place. I don't need it. Ever. And it appears to be incredibly buggy - the project page has release after release after release with the comment 'Critical bug fixes' in each, and there are reports all over the Internet about a host of problems with PD grabbing all CPU, overwhelming X and now, it appears, barfing all over session locking as well.

How about waiting until these tools are out of alpha before shipping them as integral parts of the desktop?