Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sun Virtual Machine

Default Re: Sun Virtual Machine

Oh well first I had forgotten how old and outdated my old system was, there were to many problems exporting my XP-image to it so I gave that one up. Ubuntu 8.10 installed as dualboot on my ordinary system worked right out of the box. And guess what, Fedora 10 won't even install on my system, it just freezes rather early in the install process. I even upgraded my BIOS, but no! And that's a plain vanilla system nothing special at all.

Haven't tried Fedora - I hear it does a good bleeding edge. Have you considered Mandriva for testing your solution cross-distro? Although I haven't tried it yet, it's getting some praise over in General Chit Chat where it's being compared with openSUSE. I will try to get it working on mepis64 (debian) before I try it on a new distro and will let you know result.

I tried all the suggestions that I could find, and finally got it working by adding a line in /etc/fstab, and adding the line mount -a to the end of /etc/init.d/boot.local.

I get an error message on each boot about /dev/usb-something or other being already in use, but the USB now works.

The line I added is this one if anyone else is interested:

/sys/bus/usb/drivers /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1000,devmode=664 0 0

It seems like a problem with HAL and all those uneccessary confusing rules. Possibly the same thing that messes with read/write/mount permissions of external drives.

It would be nice if I could simply remove all that unneccessary nonsense, I mean I don't consider that to be a security issue on my laptop. The risk of someone sneakily connecting a USB device to my laptop while I'm not looking, and doing something naughty is as close to impossible as me growing a third eye spontaneously!

@growbag, not sure which post you are responding to, but your exact solution was mentioned very early in this thread, and it's an old one. There is even several versions of the fstab statement to try (PITA). Since then we have been working on solutions for users (like me) where yours didn't work on 11.1 with simple memory sticks.

You didn't say what releases of openSUSE and VirtualBox you are using or what device types you tried(?), so I am not sure it would help anyone.

There are more recent threads that have had specific device problems at boot time and where the rules file solutions have worked, but you probably saw those(?).

Btw, I agree with the second half of your post (HAL etc) and the messy situation VirtualBox has to deal with for usb.

Yeah, sorry about that.

I'm, using openSUSE 11.1, 64 bit KDE 4.2 (KDE 4.2.2) "release 114", and Virtualbox (non OSS .rpm downloaded from the sun website) v2.2.0 r45846.

I read this and a few other threads on the USB subject, and tried a lot of the suggestions. The one that finally worked was the stuff I posted earlier.

I had the same symptoms in that USB would work perfectly when I logged in as root, but not as a normal user. I was already a member of the vbox group, and messing with the .10 or .60 files changed nothing.

As for device types, it was a USB memory stick, it was showing up in the list of devices, but was greyed out (Grey Doubt!), so I couldn't enable it. But I got the same thing with any USB device, ie webcam or keyboard. It would show them as existing, but I couldn't enable them.

@growbag, thanks for that clarification. Differences for me and hank_se , from memory, are architecture and kde version. We use the i586 version and kde 3.5.10, although I have 64bit hardware capability. It appeared from the the most recent thread that connecting usb keyboard and mouse through to the guest can screw things up. Did you try the memory stick without the others, i wonder?

Well it's disappointing that the other two solutions didn't work on your setup.

I have been battling Virtualbox for a while now (I updated the system one day and Vbox just stopped working), I have finally gotten to usb.

This thread has confused the **** out of me, and nothing so far has worked.

I am running pretty much the same stuff as the person above: OpenSUSE 11.1, KDE 4.2, Virtualbox 2.2. While Vbox recognizes the attached devices (mainly I am trying to get my flash card reader working) and I can add a filter for whichever I want, when I start the machine (Windows Server 2008) Vbox says there are no usb devices attached. It does work as root.

Do you have to add mount -a to the /etc/init.d/boot.local file? I am going to try but I don't have high hopes.

O.K. now my guest won't start at all. Virtualbox is the best virtual machine program I have used on Windows, but this is ridiculous...

O.K., now it works all the sudden, hopefully it will keep working. Sorry for the multiple posts, I couldn't edit the others.

@hito_kiri
    Well done, your hopes were rewarded. The thread became complicated, because that method didn't work for everyone. This resulted in on-the-fly experiments and tests to get some alternative solutions. Once it works for you, don't change it. But if you hit usb problems in future, or just for interest, you may find this thread here easier to follow for alternative solutions, that have worked for others.

In addition to the helpful information you included in your post, i recommend you also include which architecture (32bit or 64bit) version of openSUSE you installed. It may make the difference between success or failure of a particular method.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567