Thread: Compiz glitches...

Default Compiz glitches...

I have been playing and having lots of fun with Compiz, with great results. But, when I boot up, the "cube" works and revolves, and shows my desktop background when spinning, but any windows that are open cannot be moved, and will not close. To "fix" this, I have been opening a konsole and:

Code:
    compiz --replace ccp
    This, after a few flickers seems to work ok. Having done this I saw that the konsole was still open. I tried all I could think of to close it (the running process) incuding ESC, ctrl-D, ctrl-x, :q ....
    I then typed exit............
    Screen went completely black, no way to do anything so I hard booted (crashed) the computer. Upon reboot...
    Black screen, KDE tip o' the day, firefox restore session, BUT NO desktop or task bar or kicker or any controls at all... no way to issue commands etc ctrl-alt mouse still spun the cube, but only to more blackness. I eventually, by luck rather than any expertise did ctrl-alt-f2 to a ?? level 3 CLI ?? and typed KDE, This bought me back to a log in screen, I did
    Code:
    compiz --replace ccp
    again, and .... phew all was well!
    How do I get out of the compiz session in a terminal? (I just close the konsole now)
    What is compiz --replace ccp actually doing?
    Can I do the same thing on start-up somewhere?
    When I do, although a small thing, can I get my background on to the spinning cube?
    If I find myself in the black screen again, what is the best way to regain control?

Default Re: Compiz glitches...

If compiz screws up and you can still use a terminal, then replace it with Kwin, the KDE Desktop Manager.

In a terminal type
    Code:
    kwin --replace
    You can then make any changes to the compiz settings and then you can switch back to compiz by opening up a terminal and typing
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    I've had to do this a couple of times when I screwed up with compiz (an Intel graphics card is not the best graphics card to be trying all this stuff on )

Hope this helps!
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

A handy tip, thank-you! Do you know what the "ccp" option does?

It's a plugin from what I'm reading.

When typing "Compiz --help" in the terminal it gives a list of all the commands you can do and then at the end you can add a PLUGIN to it. So I'm guessing it's a plugin.

Also from this website Kristian€™s look on things Compiz Fusion under August 13, 2007

"First, we are using Compiz as the core of this project. We have extended the functionality of the core Compiz package by adding the Compiz Configuration System (CCS). This comes as a plugin (ccp), library and settings editor (ccsm) for now. CCS has been given a lot of work, and will set the foundation for future configuration work. In Beryl, the configuration system was a part of the core, and not really as powerful as CCS is."

So when you add ccp onto "compiz --replace" you're using the [PLUGIN] option which I'm guessing tells compiz how to function.
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Cheers IJ!

Quote Originally Posted by wakou View Post
    I have been playing and having lots of fun with Compiz, with great results. But, when I boot up, the "cube" works and revolves, and shows my desktop background when spinning, but any windows that are open cannot be moved, and will not close. To "fix" this, I have been opening a konsole and:

Code:
    compiz --replace ccp
    This, after a few flickers seems to work ok. Having done this I saw that the konsole was still open. I tried all I could think of to close it (the running process) incuding ESC, ctrl-D, ctrl-x, :q ....
    I then typed exit............
    Screen went completely black, no way to do anything so I hard booted (crashed) the computer. Upon reboot...
    Black screen, KDE tip o' the day, firefox restore session, BUT NO desktop or task bar or kicker or any controls at all... no way to issue commands etc ctrl-alt mouse still spun the cube, but only to more blackness. I eventually, by luck rather than any expertise did ctrl-alt-f2 to a ?? level 3 CLI ?? and typed KDE, This bought me back to a log in screen, I did
    Code:
    compiz --replace ccp
    again, and .... phew all was well!
    How do I get out of the compiz session in a terminal? (I just close the konsole now)
    What is compiz --replace ccp actually doing?
    Can I do the same thing on start-up somewhere?
    When I do, although a small thing, can I get my background on to the spinning cube?
    If I find myself in the black screen again, what is the best way to regain control?
    Just a quick update, in case anyone is lurking with similar problems.
    Type compiz --replace ccp & (type in the & sign)
    Will close the shell after execution
    No background on the moving cube was transparency/opacity settings
    The other issues are still a mystery, any clues welcome!