Thread: no kde login sound

Angry no kde login sound

I'm using opensuse 11.1 with KDE 3.5.10 "release 21.9" and I cannot hear the login sound (kde startup sound) but I can hear the log off sound and can get sound in any other Linux application including every other kde system sound. I have checked the login sound file IS there and IS playable, i do not understand why the sound works for everything else but not the kde startup sound??

Default Re: no kde login sound

sorry guys it seems to be working now, I don't know why it didn't before??

Possibly at startup the sound volume in too low?
    In kde control center did you check the settings in Sound>System Notifications ?

Or just the startup sounds from different programs are blocking each-other. Common sound problem in 11.1. There was a lot of threads about it.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

This is what I did, since I had the same issue...go into YaST and enable pulseaudio and do a sound test. Afterwards, type this command in konsole as root:

alsactrl store

Then go into configure desktop/multimedia and select device preference tab. Then on the left side select music and make pulse the first card on the list in output device category. Test it afterwards with a restart. Worked for me the first time. I have both logout and login tones lickety-split.