no items in screensaver settings list

I don’t know why - unreasonably - a list of screensavers in KDE Control Center disappeared. I’ve tried reinstalling of kdebase, kdeartwork3-kscreensaver and kdeartwork3-xscreensaver packages but with no effect. Still no screensavers in the list. I want to change random screensaver to something else (OpenGl savers are not “saving” my CPU :wink: ).
Does anybody know where the config file is or how to fix the screensaver setup module?
Thanks for any advice.

I have OpenSUSE 11.1 with KDE 3.5.10 “release 21.9”
my Smolts profile

Really is nobody here who could have any suggestions about this? :frowning:

> Really is nobody here who could have any suggestions about this? :frowning:

well, you did post on friday…and there are always fewer here on the
weekends…so, maybe tomorrow…

but, since modern screens don’t need to be “saved” there is no real
reason to run a “screen saver” (other than for the eye candy…in the
old days if you left the screen on long enough it would BURN the image
in, and you could always see the burned in image, and had to chuck the
screen or just live with it…today, it is just a way to use
electricity)…

so, the best way to SAVE your cpu is to select “Blank Screen” which
will save CPU cycles, and electricity/battery…

and hope that someone with more knowledge of the system drops by…

good luck, and have fun!

primary

I know its no need to save the screen, but just for the eye candy and if there is this possibility I want to use it (anyway - I feel bad when something doesn’t work as it supposed to on my system)

here is my screen with empy screensaverlist
http://www.mayhem.cz/screensaver_module.png

as you can see - I can’t set blank screen saver nor any other :frowning:

So the qustion is: Does anybody know how to fix it or where I can set it manually? (config file)

I’ve looked around a bit, but this is weird. When did the problem first occur? You could remove your entire .kde folder, but that would make you loose all kde-application settings.

This is a problem that appeared in openSUSE 11.1. This happens only in KDE3. I have the same problem in my 3 PCs that I’ve clean-installed openSUSE 11.1 using KDE3. From the very beginning there were no screensavers in the list and even if I have unchecked the “require Password to stop” checkbox, it keeps asking me for the password when the screen saver is active! I didn’t try to find a solution because I have many things to do, so I disabled the screensaver!

> here is my screen with empy screensaverlist
> http://www.mayhem.cz/screensaver_module.png

OH! i see the problem now!! all the words are spelled wrong and use
funny looking letters :wink:

you guessed it: i have NO idea how to help you on this…

primary

so I’ve solved it out by disabling KDE screensaver (by unchecking “start automatically” in KDE Control Center and by uninstalling kdeartwork3-kscreensaver package - this is not necessary, I think)

then kdeartwork3-xscreensaver package is needed.
other usefull informations are in man pages for xscreensaver

thanks for your opinions :slight_smile:

I am having the same problem too. Somebody has reported a fix for it here: SUSE 11.1 KDE 3.5 screensaver config problem - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums

… i hope this helps.

As root
cd /opt/kde3/share/applnk/
ln -s System apps

Then logout.

When you log back in, it will find the screensaver list.