Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot get Postscript printer to work properly

Default Re: Cannot get Postscript printer to work properly

OK. I typed a single plain text sentence using plain Courier font in KWrite and one in OfficeWriter as follows:

This is a test print from KWrite

This is a test print from OWriter

I sent each directly to the printer. Only the OWriter version came out. The KWrite version made the printer panel blink as data was transferred, but the paper never moved.

I then printed each to a .ps file and used lp to send each .ps file to the printer. The results were exactly the same.

The testkw.ps file is 11.7KB and the testow.ps file is 128.6KB. If there is a way to attach them for your review - tell me how.

Mike

Blog Entries

Not so fast.

Can you preview the files using ghostview? Do they both show? What is the paper size in the Kwrite version? I've seen printers that reject jobs because they were printed for the wrong paper type.

Found an error handler for the printer and loaded it. Re-tried the print from KWrite and got the following error printout:

ERROR: dictfull
    OFFENDING COMMAND: definefont

STACK:

-dictionary-
    /F7_0

Interesting - tried to run ghostview as you suggested and it said it wasn't installed. Just used zypper to install it.

ghostview testkw.ps showed a blank screen

ghostview testow.ps showed the typed sentence.

Mike

Forgot - paper size in KWrite shows as 'Letter'.

Should be correct.

Mike

Blog Entries

In that case kwrite isn't generate proper Postscript. Try something that will work, like printing to Postscript from Firefox.

Just tried to print this problem screen from Firefox.

First sheet out of printer says "This print job requires a PostScript Language Level 2 printer."

Second sheet is printed by the errorhandler and indicates the same error as in a previous message.

Verified in the ppd file that the option is set
    *LanguageLevel: "2"

I'm pretty sure that this machine is a PostScript Level 1 printer - not sure if "LanguageLevel" means the same thing or not.

I printed the Firefox postscript info to a .ps file and displayed it with ghostview. It displays fine. If I look at the .ps file with KWrite, I can see the message "This print job requires a PostScript Language Level 2 printer." in the .ps file

Just pulled out a little more hair.

Mike

Blog Entries

Does your printer support other page languages like PCL? If so, it might actually be better to tell CUPS it's a PCL printer and get CUPS to render PS to PCL using ghostscript filters in the background.

Since KWrite might have a problem with PostScript, I tried the same simple sentence with Kate. Errorhandler reports:

ERROR: invalidfont
    OFFENDING COMMAND: stringwidth

STACK:

(
    (

I have set all options in Kwrite, Kate, OfficeWriter and Firefox to keep it simple and only use Courier font since that is one that is in ROM in the printer.

Looking at the .ps file generated by Kate, for some reason part of what was generated was "Courier-Uni". Everywhere else in the file it looks like just Courier was specified - as expected.

ArialMT was found in the KWrite test .ps output.

Mozilla.ps contained a Helvetica reference (used to print the 'requires' message), and has 'cairo-font' references in it.

Seems only OpenOffice can follow the rules with their own options.

Mike

Getting late for me (old man). Yes, original HP laserwriter code is one of the options (Proprinter and Diablo are the others). None of them have been satisfactory with Windows, but I'll give them a try tomorrow - when my brain doesn't feel so fried.

Thanks for all your efforts this evening.

Mike

Blog Entries

I think you'll find that Postscript Level 1 is rather limiting and it would be a constant struggle to get applications to restrict themselves to that subset. That's why I suggested letting ghostscript do the conversion.

PostScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Level 1 is 25 years old!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast