Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Novel improves Mono OpenSuse Will be Best Linux

chityala_shailesh NNTP User

Default If Novel improves Mono OpenSuse Will be Best Linux

I think Novel should concentrate more on making installtion of MonoDevelope and Mono Runtime more user and Developer Friendly.

Microsoft have always developed in Developers Friendly strategy. which has been hallmark of their successus in destop Market.

Lack of Proper Developers Resource,Documentation,Books is halting
    small developers from being

According to me Novel can gain a great market share of Linux if it developes more stable Monodevelop,GTK#,Mono Runtime.

Although Opensuse is 2nd most used Linux Distrom, it can become No 1 just with One Year.. i can forecast that.

If I am right in future the combination of
    GMMM (Gtk#, Mono Runtime, MonoDevelop,MySQL) can make big difference as LAMP proved in Web World

Novel should promote & Support an OpenSource Reporting Software as Reporting Tool (Just Find Very Good One and Overtake It).

Default Re: If Novel improves Mono OpenSuse Will be Best Linux

And here I was thinking they should've fired de Icaza instead of all those other developers.

* chityala shailesh,

so far I haven't seen a Mono based software I didn't hate. Bloated resource hogs lacking stability, IMHO.

Uwe

Chrysantine and buckesfeld, I notice both of you are from Europe, where things are probably different, but here in the United States, colleges are graduating a vast number of developers who only know C#, VB.NET, and ASP.NET. Novell developing a solid Mono on SUSE is EXTREMELY important, otherwise all these developers that are graduating would only be able to develop on Windows. Without Mono, Linux would have a bleak future ahead for the companies which will end up hiring these developers.

The world doesn't end on United States. The reason that they know these programming languages are thanks to Microsoft's strategy.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
    The world doesn't end on United States. The reason that they know these programming languages are thanks to Microsoft's strategy.
    True and True. But still, Novell has to meet the needs of the US market.

Thumbs up Re: If Novel improves Mono OpenSuse Will be Best Linux

I certainly think that if Novell wants to expand development, they should aim for Europe and Asia. I've lived in the U.S. for about 2 years now and trying to make Americans get rid of Windows and the ways they used to program is going to be extremely hard and it's just simply not recommended. Typically, people get lazier and lazier. And I bet developing SuSE will not be an easy task, when Windows already has all these languages and software. I pray to god that happens though, because I, myself, am so sick of Microsoft. I wish there was a way I could help, but since my programming skills are pretty low I am definitely a person to rely on. Although, If SuSE becomes commercial(meaning starting to advertise, but still Open Source) I will definitely support it anyhow, because all that robbery that Microsoft, Mac, and Adobe commit every day, for so many years, is simply ridiculous and has to stop someday.

I get that they need to adjust to United States market but i find the deal between Novell and Microsoft at least fishy. Probably Microsoft figured out that they can't wain the war then they will "buy out" some of them with a bribe like Mono. Microsoft can wait many years to pull the plug out and leave Novell standing naked. As You can see most of Linux's kernel is still in C and it definitely works ok

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

BY the way, the ultimate goal at the end is to control the information. Apple and Microsoft may look like great enemies but ultimately the people behind those companies (no, not Ballmer or other CEO) want to control information and the Open Source is against their will so they need to fight it off.

I agree with the OP, that if Mono could be improved to the point where it could run current .NET programs it would be so cool and it would be a force to be reckoned with. There are many very nice .NET programs. Two I really enjoy when I am using Windows are Paint.Net and CDBurnerXP. I would install them in Linux in a heartbeat.

As for the current state of Mono apps, I am a huge fan of Banshee. To me it's the best player in Linux. I can't stand Beagle, however, and it's the first thing to go when I install Suse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast