Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Segmentation error crash in YaST2 Software Management module

Default Segmentation error crash in YaST2 Software Management module

Using OpenSuSE 10.3

Software management module crashes after checking RPM database and repositories but before listing known and installed applications. I believe this has happened due to an update applied recently but am uncertain as to when.

The error is as below:

"YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/sw_single.ycp:187
    /sbin/yast2: line 386: 17985 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module $@ $SELECTED_GUI $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2QT_ARGS"

I've tried reducing the repositories that I have selected down to just 2 officials but with no improvement. I've also tried running yast2 from a terminal login without KDE and again the software management module crashes.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Segmentation error crash in YaST2 Software Management mo

I ran into the same problem this morning after running updates.

Here is what I did to resolve the issue, hope it works for you:

loggout out all gui sessions
    logged in as root in terminal (ctrl-F1)
    brought up yast (not YaST2) and ran the online update configuration again
    after that all finished got out of yast
    switch to runlevel 3 (init 3)
    removed all files and directories in /tmp
    and finally shutdown -Fr now

All came up working for me, hope this helps.
    Quince

Thanks Quince

Yast is pretty firmly broken at the moment so I'll give it a try.

Best - Dave C

Tried your fix thanks Quince but to no avail.

I still get the same segmentation fault at the same line number. all that varies is the numeric string after the line number. This time it's 4609 instead of 17985.

It's a very repeatable crash so it does look like a bug that's turned up. I'll go search Bugzilla.

Thanks for the help anyway - Dave C

i have the same problem with opensuse 11.0:

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/inst_packages.ycp:36
    /sbin/yast2: line 421: 10341 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

anyone any ideas?

I trawled through Novell's Bugzilla and found Bug #461136. https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=461136 It looks like that may be they same issue and sadly it is still open at the moment.

Hopefully someone may come up with a fix soon but I wonder if anyone has made any successful attempt at backtracking from an On-line update? Any help would be appreciated.

illingn NNTP User

I'm running OpenSuse 11.0 and have exactly the same fault. Started about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I guess. I haven't installed anything other than updates until it broke.

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/online_update_select.ycp:83
    /sbin/yast2: line 421: 9900 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

Hi Illingn

I think this is Novell bug #461136 I beleive that has been marked as a duplicate and merged to be a part of bug #464214. Both of these are on Bugzilla and the issue doen't seem to be resolved as yet. It seems to be a fonts issue with qt4 so I'm currently trying to install some fonts to see if it provides a workaround for the moment since the problem stops both on-line update and software management form working.

Hang on in there and in the meantime sign up to Novell Bugzilla and add your votes to the bug #464214. If I get a fix to work I'll let you know.

I think I had it once before if memory serves.
    Try to open a terminal and as su fire the command killall y2base and restart yast2. Not really sure if it will work for you but give it a try.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Thanks for the suggestion Conram. Sadly it doesn't fix it.

This seems to be a bug that is affecting quite a few people. It's been reported on Bugzilla twice first #461136 on 20th Dec '08 and then in early Jan '09 as #464214 with the first now marked as status "resolved" by marking it as a duplicate of the later one (a bit clever that!)

The bug is obviously not affecting everyone as it has been allocated a low priority on Bugzilla but I'm watching in hopes of an imminent fix.

Cheers - DC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast