Segmentation error crash in YaST2 Software Management module

Using OpenSuSE 10.3

Software management module crashes after checking RPM database and repositories but before listing known and installed applications. I believe this has happened due to an update applied recently but am uncertain as to when.

The error is as below:

“YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/sw_single.ycp:187
/sbin/yast2: line 386: 17985 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module “$@” “$SELECTED_GUI” $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2QT_ARGS”

I’ve tried reducing the repositories that I have selected down to just 2 officials but with no improvement. I’ve also tried running yast2 from a terminal login without KDE and again the software management module crashes.

Any suggestions?

I ran into the same problem this morning after running updates.

Here is what I did to resolve the issue, hope it works for you:

loggout out all gui sessions
logged in as root in terminal (ctrl-F1)
brought up yast (not YaST2) and ran the online update configuration again
after that all finished got out of yast
switch to runlevel 3 (init 3)
removed all files and directories in /tmp
and finally shutdown -Fr now

All came up working for me, hope this helps.
Quince

Thanks Quince

Yast is pretty firmly broken at the moment so I’ll give it a try.

Best - Dave C

Tried your fix thanks Quince but to no avail.

I still get the same segmentation fault at the same line number. all that varies is the numeric string after the line number. This time it’s 4609 instead of 17985.

It’s a very repeatable crash so it does look like a bug that’s turned up. I’ll go search Bugzilla.

Thanks for the help anyway - Dave C

i have the same problem with opensuse 11.0:

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/inst_packages.ycp:36
/sbin/yast2: line 421: 10341 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module “$@” “$SELECTED_GUI” $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

anyone any ideas?

I trawled through Novell’s Bugzilla and found Bug #461136. https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=461136 It looks like that may be they same issue and sadly it is still open at the moment.

Hopefully someone may come up with a fix soon but I wonder if anyone has made any successful attempt at backtracking from an On-line update? Any help would be appreciated.:frowning:

I’m running OpenSuse 11.0 and have exactly the same fault. Started about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I guess. I haven’t installed anything other than updates until it broke. :frowning:

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/online_update_select.ycp:83
/sbin/yast2: line 421: 9900 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module “$@” “$SELECTED_GUI” $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

Hi Illingn

I think this is Novell bug #461136 I beleive that has been marked as a duplicate and merged to be a part of bug #464214. Both of these are on Bugzilla and the issue doen’t seem to be resolved as yet. It seems to be a fonts issue with qt4 so I’m currently trying to install some fonts to see if it provides a workaround for the moment since the problem stops both on-line update and software management form working.

Hang on in there and in the meantime sign up to Novell Bugzilla and add your votes to the bug #464214. If I get a fix to work I’ll let you know.

I think I had it once before if memory serves.
Try to open a terminal and as su fire the command killall y2base and restart yast2. Not really sure if it will work for you but give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion Conram. Sadly it doesn’t fix it.:frowning:

This seems to be a bug that is affecting quite a few people. It’s been reported on Bugzilla twice first #461136 on 20th Dec '08 and then in early Jan '09 as #464214 with the first now marked as status “resolved” by marking it as a duplicate of the later one (a bit clever that!)

The bug is obviously not affecting everyone as it has been allocated a low priority on Bugzilla but I’m watching in hopes of an imminent fix. :slight_smile:

Cheers - DC

downgrade all packages to the oss-repo version gets you a working YAST again. Should do it until this thing gets fixed. although my trust in updating YAST again has gone far away. It’s a system tool, it shouldn’t break! Or at least, it shouldn’t be spread in a broken state.

That’s my two cents

Hi Kenny

If I search yast in software management having enabled just the OSS repo I get hundreds of installed or installable packages for yast2. If I try downgrading them to the standard oss-repo versions I get lots of dependency errors. Do you know what are the names of just the modules involved in the Software Management module so that I can try just downgrading those?

I have to agree with you that this breakage of a system tool is fairly serious and I can’t believe how low a priority it has been given on Bugzilla. Nevertheless I am still a fairly committed fan of the open SuSE distribution thus far but finding this issue quite a test of that commitment.

Someone just posted to bugzilla #464214 that downgrading to libqt4-4.4.3 got YaST2 working again. The software manager is also crashing on me if I choose and upgrade and click ‘apply’. I’m using libqt 4.5.

The updater applet is working ok for me. Anyone can use zypper to do updates while YaST2 isn’t working.

Hi Pilotgi

Are you sure the update applet is working?

I have it showing on the system notification area of the task bar in KDE but if I try to use it then it always says there are no updates available and although it is based on zypper I believe it depends on the same rpm cache database as yast and needs the updates repository to be selected in the system software settings. For me it appears to work but it is not checking the updates repo as a I can’t enable that!

Since an auto update at the beginning of the year I can only get yast to work if I remove the updates repository and go back to just the standard OSS and Non-OSS repos from openSuSE. I can’t use the Packman repository or the Video Lan repository.

(See Novell bugzilla #464214)

pilotgi wrote:

>
> Someone just posted to bugzilla #464214 that downgrading to libqt4-4.4.3
> got YaST2 working again. The software manager is also crashing on me if
> I choose and upgrade and click ‘apply’. I’m using libqt 4.5.
>
> The updater applet is working ok for me. Anyone can use zypper to do
> updates while YaST2 isn’t working.
>
>
I have the problem on my 11.0 system. If I try to use zypper, I get a
segmentation error there also.
I have two systems with 11.1 and no problems with YaST so I may just
update my other system and use that as a work around. It won’t help
everyone else who has the problem and I think Novell should up the
priority!!

Russ
openSUSE 11.1 (2.6.27.19-3.2-default x86_64) KDE 4.2 release 104, Intel
DX48BT2 Core 2 Dual E7200. 4 GB DDR III GeForce 8400 GS, 320GB Disc
(2)

@dave_cass

Yes I know it’s working, I had an update today. Maybe this problem is with 11.0. My 11.1 install is working fine. I know I posted above I was having some problems yesterday, but everythng is working fine now.

@upscope

I meant using zypper from the command line. I’ve never seen a segmentation fault from the command line. I’m not sure it is even possible.

I’ve never seen a segmentation fault from the command line. I’m not sure it is even possible.

No segmentations fault, just core dumps! :wink:

Hi,

I’m running opensuse 11.1, gnome desktop, qt 4.4 and I had your same error when opening yast software management:

“YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/sw_single.ycp:187
/sbin/yast2: line 386: 17985 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module “$@” “$SELECTED_GUI” $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2QT_ARGS”

After a couple of hours spent searching inside forums I found out a way that solved my problem:

1. run /sbin/yast (text mode) from terminal and deactivate all the repos except official ones (suse11.1 update, suse 11.1 oss, gnome stable, suse 11.1 non-oss).

2. update all packages related to yast and qt libraries

3. relog into your system

I tried also other ways suggested in other forums but they didn’t work on my machine.

Hope this can help you

I am seeing the same problem in 11.1 after an update. Discovered that I can run the Yast without issue, if I start from a terminal with /sbin/yast --qt to force it to use qt.

I am occasionally seeing a errors relating to ORBit with YAst if I use the GUI since the update, not sure whether its related to the segmentation issue. Anyway they don’t occur if I start it with the qt flag, probably because gtk uses orbit libraries.

Using an AMD 64bit system by the way

I tried all the suggestions in this thread but nothing worked, so bit the bullet and upgraded from 11.0 to 11.1 and now everything is working perfectly. No errors at all and updates working fine… :slight_smile: