OpenSuSE 11.1 with VMware

I am a long time user of SuSE, from the early days of 7.x with both Intel and PPC versions. These days I am using VMware with Vista as a host and find that SuSE 11.0 works the best with VMware 6.51 over SuSE 11.1. I am a registered owner of all versions of SuSE from 10.0 through 11.1. I recently purchased the 11.1, and have removed it, going back to 11.0; I also find that KDE 3.5.x works best with VMware 6.5 as well; I can run full screen as though I am running Suse natively. KDE 4.x does not work well with VMware; GNOME 2.4.x functions fine as a GUI, but the sound driver is flakey under VMware. One might ask, “why not dual boot, or run SuSE natively?” My answer is, "I have done both, and am quite comfortable with using linux as my only OS, but I suggest I get the most function possible from my computer using a virtual machine; I never have to reboot to use some program which only comes tested for the mass consumer market, and hence Vista. Any other VMware users out there who have tested both 11.0 & 11.1? Another point about 11.1 vs. 11.0 is that I think the installer for 11.0 is superior to 11.1’s installer. I think Novell should go back to the 11.0 installer for future releases of openSuse. I also want to say that while I realize linux is free for the download, paying for a 6 month subscription at a small price of $59.95 is an excellent way to help support the product and keep Suse strong. Any commects?

Learn to paragraph.

KDE4 actually works fine in VMWare Fusion 2.02.

• RichardET wrote, On 02/22/2009 09:46 PM:

> Any commects?

Whoa, probably in an hour or so, after I recovered from the tsunami of loosely related statements you pushed ashore my poor brain!

Uwe

can someone give a brief tutorial on how to use VMWare, I am currently running just openSUSE and removed Vista altogether right now,unless something goes wrong, I will try and avoid Microsoft forever since most applications I need to run are mostly linux-based…

I did not say KDE 4.x did not work with VMware, i stated 3.5.x works better; also it is workstation 6.5.x I am using.

Have a read here Setting up VMware Workstation - openSUSE

/Geoff

That link you cited is for VMware using linux as the host. I use linux as the guest, with Vista as the host.

As this is a Linux forum you might get more help on a windows forum
You could also try Google

/Geoff

I also use linux natively on an old desktop box. I recall in 1998 getting Redhat 5.2 to install on an old Compaq 486 with a 1 gig harddrive and 12 meg of ram, so I am no linux newbie. But I can tell you that Vmware is good. When one uses SuSE 11.0 with KDE 3.5, the system runs full screen on my laptop and VMware uses the core 2 duo processor natively. I can also move freely between the linux side and the vista side, thus I have total usability of the system without constant reboots. Unfortunately, open SuSE 11.1 does not play as well with VMware as open SuSE 11.0 and I have licensed copies of both and i spend alot of time experimenting.

I have 2 suggestions for you.

1. Use Linux as the host. While I have found Windows 7 beta to actually work, Vista is simply a problem. Hopefully Windows will offer Windows 7 as a free repair for Vista. (Don’t hold your breath!)
  2. Use xVM VirtualBox from Sun. It works quite well. I run several virtual machines, including XP Pro and the aforementioned Windows 7 beta on an openSUSE 11.1 host. Check it out.

Yes I also Play around with SUN xVM running at present Open Suse 11.0 above Kubuntu. I sometimes use vmware.
Compare your experiences.
This Lenovo Tower the Vista got stuck so it is a Windows free Computer.
Chana IT Services Blog

I must admit that I much prefer Linux over Windows of any kind, and after going from Ubuntu, to Kubuntu, I now find myself at Opensuse 11.1, running KDE 4.1.3.
I am running this in Sun xVM VirtualBox, and find it runs quite well. I have toyed with the idea of a dual boot system, but seems that I might not have to go to those lengths!

Anyone else got any comments on this software?

John

VirtualBox is fine for workstation level virtualization and that’s about where it ends.

As a fellow MS hater and a newbie to openSUSE 11.1 and Linux in general, I have a question.

Which is the BEST 64bit Host OS for VMware Workstation v6.5.x?

I have Vista Ultimate 64bit as my current host and it runs okay, but it seem very slow for a i7 920 with 12GB RAM. It does work very nicely without problems, I just want more speed!

Can changing to openSUSE 11.1 as my Host OS make my over-all VMware environment faster, without adding problems?