Cannot send files to Trash

I updated to KDE 4.2 when it came out on openSUSE 11.1 and things were working OK.

Now I can no longer send files to the Trash. I get an error in Dolphin saying “The trash has reached its maximum size! Cleanup the trash manually.”

I deleted a bunch of stuff from my Trash and I have 1.7GB free on my /home partition so it’s not a lack of space.

i’d try to check the folder
/home/[username]/.local/share/Trash/
to make sure that both the folders (info and files) are empty

Then also check in /tmp, as it might contain a bunch of files and take lots of space as well

My Trash does contain items, and I don’t want to delete them.

I don’t want to empty the Trash unless I have to.

Strangely enough I can send files to Trash in Thunar under Xcfe. :\

I’d suggest to temporarily move those items elsewhere, empty the trash and then move again the items to the trash.
Maybe the space taken by items in the trash is being miscalculated. Emptying the trash would “reset” everything that is now in it and its totally safe for the items currently in the trash if you move them

I cleared the Trash, but this did not actualy delete the database. I had to delete the ~/.local/Trash directory to do it. I ended up having to log on to Xfce and send a file to the Trash from there to create a new, so far fine, Trash.

I had the same problem after building WINE 1.2.1

Open a terminal and Go to ~/.local and type
rm -r -f Trash

this will remove the Trash directory and everything in it

open Dolphin go to Settings>Configure Dolphin>Trash
De-select and Re-select the “Limit to maximum size” check box and press Apply
This will re-create a new trash can.

Another instance where this happened and my solution which does not involve deleting and creating a new Trash…

Cause:
Moving, Copying very large (4GB+) files from one partition to another using Dolphin. Apparently each copy and move operation created a copy of the file in Trash and /tmp/, until my 20GB tmp directory was over-filled. The error messages were the same as those described earlier in this thread.

Symptoms

• Xserver crashed for that User account. Surprisingly, I could login to the system with any other User Account but the one in effect when moving the files. The User login screen still works, but from there you can’t re-login to the affected User Account
  • Tried deleting numerous “.tmp” files and moving <20mb files from the /tmp/ directory, but without effect. Dolphin still reported directory usage at 100% even after removing a couple hundred MB of files.

Solution:
Am not certain why, but by moving several GB of files out of /root/ and /tmp/ (not just /tmp/) I was able to free up some space.
Once some “breathing” space was created, it looks like Trash started functioning properly again (seems that Trash cannot function without <some> free space).

Summary
I found that you may need to move a considerable number of very large files out of more than just tmp (I found that both tmp and root worked for me) to another location (in my case, it was sufficient to move them into /home/ user / works). Using Dolphin to view the file properties of /tmp/ you want to see a significant amount of free space before you can go back to permanently deleting files.

HTH,
Tony