can't install suse 11.1 at all

I have tried to install a live cd and a dvd, the result is always the same. the installation of a live cd stops and a broken screen appears.
the dvd installation goes till the end, the system reboots and I see a black display with “grub>” and the only command it understands is “reboot”.
I install it as a second OS along with win xp.
I have tried many distributions, and the installation always stops with the broken screen.
Then I’ve read that suse has not been tested with my nvidia 6800GS.
so, is there any way to install it? I’ve got both live cd and a dvd.

[LEFT]It sounds like you have an installed system, just grub is incorrect. Can you tell us if you are using more than one HD in the install? If it’s just the one, did you leave suse to setup the partitions automatically or id you do it manually?
[/LEFT]

I’ve got 2 disks and 4 partitions. I make another partition (10 Gb) on the primary disk and offer it to suse during the installation.
(I did it on another computer and everything went well)

I would suggest installing again. It only takes 30 mins.

Read this first
Partitioning/Install Guide - openSUSE Forums

so…
I have a disk with 2 partitions, C for windows, D for files.
I should not make a separate partition for linux resising D before the installation?
I should offer linux make partitions as it likes from D during installation?
right?

You said you had 2 disks, what is on the other?

But if you intend to use the one C/windows D/files

Yes. Resize D. But you really should have defraged it before - As I understand things at the moment you can’t boot windows - is that right?

You will need to use custom partitioning to resize D as you call it. If you are not happy with anything during the install you can back out. But remember - nothing happens until the very last step.

yes I can. after the install fails I delete linux partitions with acronis bootdisk and boot into windows.
why defrag? the new partition has nothing in it?

That’s fine then.

You will need to decide which HD to install grub. If you install grub to MBR of this HD the windows bootloader in destroyed.
Not really a problem. But is it possible to use the other HD MBR? If it just has data partitions then you should be fine.

Use custom partitioning
create
/
then an extended partition and create the following 2 logical partitions in there:
/home
swap

Make note how suse identifies the drives ie; sda or sdb
this is important - because you MUST make sure grub goes to the MBR of either sda or sdb whichever you decide.
see pic
http://files.myopera.com/carl4926/albums/671478/19.png

The HD with grub should be the first HD in boot priority in BIOS.

Check this:
openSUSE 11.1 Install - Step by Step Photo Progression + Video - By carl4926

set grub to mbr, after install it said error 18…

then error 25
then it deleted ntldr and (i don’t know how) changed the priority of disks in bios. so finally i had to overwrite C: with the image.

I’m really not sure where you are at now. You seem to have landed in a bit of a mess. With 2HD’s in the mix, installing linux couldn’t be easier of safer. There is no need to put grub on the MBR of the windows HD, use the other and set it to first in bios.

You MUST make sure that grub is going to MBR of that drive
see
openSUSE 11.1 Install - Step by Step Photo Progression + Video - By carl4926

in particular
http://files.myopera.com/carl4926/albums/671478/19.png

First, AFAIK there should be no problem with your Nvidia card - nvidia provides the driver. But it must be installed after the OS.

Error 18 occurs when the boot loader resides on the disk beyond the cylinder limit that can be seen by the bios. There are several possible reasons for this, as well as possible solutions.

Error 25 indicates a problem reading the disk or the partition table. The reason will be an underlying problem of some kind.

The openSUSE installation will most definitely never delete a file from an NTFS partition, let alone ntldr. Even more definitely, it cannot change a bios configuration setting; that is in CMOS.

My suggestion at this point is to step back and understand the current situation before doing anything further - additional efforts may only be making things worse.

Try this: Boot from the LiveCD, typing the numeral “3” (without quotes) in the Boot Options line below. That should take you to a command line login prompt. Login as your user and do this:

su -
sax2 -r -m 0=nv
exit
startx

If that does not give you a gui, then try:

su -
sax2 -r -m 0=vesa
exit
startx

If you get that far, post back and we’ll give you commands so we can look at the partition table, disk layout, boot setup, grub installation, video device, etc.

If that does not work, we can try to get the same info from the command line.

Hang in there - we’ll get to the bottom of this.

I’ll try.
today I’m gonna install acronis os selector from xp or directly from boot disk then install suse and see what will happen.